Moving tank full of water?

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Ok guys so i recently made a stand gor my new marine tank. See attached picture, and it got me thinking of doing some thing for my 125. The only thing is its full of water. Remember were still long time from anything. I could drain it almost all the way but i don't want to remove the wood rocks or the plants. If ill make it the same height as the existing stand i could propably just slid it over and then push it in to the same place. What do you think is it doable? Or is it a bad idea?

0628152018c-1.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
do not do it, remove all water and substrata. that is IMHO, it really will not take as long as it seems. moving a tank with water puts all kinds of stresses that a tank and seals not made to take. again IMHO.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
You may not need to remove the decor, but the water should definitely be removed before you attempt to move the tank.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I wouldn't, water is 8 pounds a gallon.. and thats moving weight shifting side to side. Your probably gonna drop it lol

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
Don't try it! Even with a small amount of water in it the stress on the tank whilst moving it would almost certainly cause it to crack. Do as advised previously, i.e. empty it completely befpre moving.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I recall a post about how a rock fell from it's position in a tank and busted out the bottom of a tank. I join in with the rest in saying empty the tank. If you decide to try it, however, please shoot video or take some photos.

A suggestion; For some time now I have been covering the outside edges of all glass tanks. I and others have had chips taken out of the glass edges. I found some clear plastic protectors at a hardware store. The plastic is made to cover and protect the outside corners of wallpaper. I had to trim the stuff I found as it was a bit too wide.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Empty tank before moving. Full tank is heavy like hell and there is very big chance to crack...

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Yeah, disaster waiting to happen. Not worth the risk to save only a small amount of time imho

Beautiful stand by the way, very well done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store