Help with 300'ish plywood, 2 side glass build, suggestions?

marvelouzone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
So I've started planning a 96" L, 24"H, 30" W plywood, 2 side glass build. Looking for critiques and suggestions of plans.. will 1/2" cell cast acrylic be sufficient or do I need to go 3/4? my plan is to have front glass go the full length of the face around 93"L give or take for water proofing material, havent decided yet on fiber glass or pond armor yet.. The side glass will but up against the front facing glass in front right hand inside corner as you're looking at tank with silicone on both sides of 90 where they meet. I'm new to sketchup so please bare eith me if I made some mistakes, just started using yesterday and spent a couple hours learning as I went. I do have quite an extensive background in constructing all types of custom speaker enclosures, so I think this will be a project right up my alley..

1:) Is the 2" border of face and side that will support the glass going to be strong enough to support the water pressure on the face on the aquarium, or should I increase to 3"?

2:) if I use Pond Armor can fiberglass cloth be placed in corners directly under pond armor to reinforce joints, or would I have to fiberglass corners with cloth and resin, and then use pond armor throughout the inside.

300 gallon v2 front.jpg

300 gallon v2 top 1.jpg

300 gallon v2 side with glass.jpg

300 gallon v2 side without glass.jpg

300 gallon v2 back.jpg

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I would go 3/4 acrylic and yes I think your idea will work fine the way you have it planed out. With pond armor you can add fiberglass mat to the corners just make sure it is fully satiated with pond armor. The king of diy is actually doing a full diy plywood build on youtube check it out. It's exactly what you want to do. If you need links I'll send them to you

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Only problem with acrylic is it does not stick to silicone it's used as a gasket between the acrylic and the pond armor. The way you want to do your project you drill holes threw the acylic as well as the plywood and use stainless nuts and bolts (or nylon bolts and and nuts if you can find them) to hold the acrylic in place.

marvelouzone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Only problem with acrylic is it does not stick to silicone it's used as a gasket between the acrylic and the pond armor. The way you want to do your project you drill holes threw the acylic as well as the plywood and use stainless nuts and bolts (or nylon bolts and and nuts if you can find them) to hold the acrylic in place.
what about using 3m 5200? I will go with 3/4 acrylic, is the bracing on the top enough, after doing some more research I see garfs site says to use 3 6" braces mines are 4", does it add more support that it's a eurobrace? I believe thats what I designed. lol

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I don't think 3m5200 would work for anything more then a gasket.
Ya that is a euro brace you designed and depending on the thickness it should be fine. I would do a 4" x 1 1/2" brace

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I don't think 3m5200 would work for anything more then a gasket.
Ya that is a euro brace you designed and depending on the thickness it should be fine. I would do a 4" x 1 1/2" brace

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store