wild or captive bred ?

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
hello new guy here , I just recently got back into fish keeping. I used to be into the hobby more then a decade ago , had assortment of tanks up to a 200 gallon .

anyway I now have three silver arowana and two azul peacock bass.

my question here is are the peacock bass likly to be farmed like the arowana, or are they more likly to be wild caught ?

anyone here with insight into the canadian market for peacock bass ? as in weather these fish are cb or wild caught ? there about 3 inches or so thanks...

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
Well I didnt think to ask while I was there, wasnt till after having them for a week that I really started to even wonder .
But yes i called the place just today actully, the person i talked to didnt really have a deffinate answer though.
from what I have been reading online Im thinking there probably from a pond some were ? and if so then could possibly be hybrid ?
Im very happy with them and there doing great just wondering a little more about them.
DSC04744.JPG DSC04751.JPG

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Sometimes the price is an indicator? Maybe someone else will chime in for you. Glad the fish are doing well regardless of wc or cb

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
well the fish were 50 bucks canadian each , cant say i have seen a lot of them, especialy in person.
but from the other pics iv seen im not really thinking hybrid.
but im not an expert in the least, i was wondering if they could be the more golden version as they do have a nice golden hue to them.

i bought the fish from aquatic kingdom in missasaga if that helps at all

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
oh ok they are eating pellets, and circkets and live minnows even cut peices of squid lol . how long does it usually take for wild babies to start taking pellets ? they could have been here a while as there not the tiny ones i see at say big als.

they are about 3 inches maybe 4. i was thinking they probably were pond farmed just from reading here. but it still seems peacock bass are also imported ? more so then say what i have learned here about almost all silver arowana in the pet trade being farmed . so i was hoping maybe some of you guys might know a little more about the liklyness of farmed peacock bass maybe like percentage of how many peacock in the pet trade are farmed vs wild caught ? that sorta thing
thanks

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
They are more than likely cb.
And they are 100% azuls.

I got a kick out of reading some of the answers and reasoning behind some of them ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store