Getting ready to jump in

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Been reading here since January or so and made an account not to long ago. Been researching having a pbass tank for a while now. I do want to post here so i can get assistance from you guys. Ive researched alot but that doesnt mean i have it all figured out. And im trying to figure out as much as possible. Ive decided to go ahead and get started. At first i was just going to get a 125 gallon or a 150 gallon and upgrade later to keep it cheaper but i decided to just look for a 180 gallon or 220 gallon. Ive come across a deal for a barely used 220 gallon tank that comes with 2x fluval 404 canister filters and 4 powerheads with canopy, stand, lights, 2 heaters, etc

So im going to go ahead and get the tank and i think im going to sell off at least one canister filter and maybe keep one as a backup and just get a Fluval FX6 canister filter to handle the task. Ive checked out all of the local fish stores and found one that supports aquariums on this kind of a level. I asked them about getting peacock bass and they said they can special order them but i would have to come get them as soon as they come in. Is it important for a fish store to quarantine fish? Any reason why they would do this? Also is it bad to start off in a 220g? I was looking at getting 5-6 kelberi since generally speaking they dont get really large like the other species and would be happier for a longer period of time in a 220g. I was wanting to get them at like 2-3 inches long. Would that be an issue? I have a friend who has a pair of pbass in a 220g and he said he can easily start the tank off of his so it should set it up with a nice base at least with good bacteria.

Anyhow thats all of the questions i have. I would greatly appreciate any help as i dont want ti fail at this. Also if you have questions that you would like to ask me to see if ive thought of it or not. Definitely want to have my ducks in a row before i get fish and put them in. :)

Reactions: that_fish_Guy

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
So many questions. Your best bet is to pre-order them and let them sit for a week in your local shop. If that's not possible, then set up a 55gal hospital tank and tell your local fish shop to send them to your house. But to be homest, look at MFK's vendors and skip the middle man. You will get what you paid for from our vendors.

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
So many questions. Your best bet is to pre-order them and let them sit for a week in your local shop. If that's not possible, then set up a 55gal hospital tank and tell your local fish shop to send them to your house. But to be homest, look at MFK's vendors and skip the middle man. You will get what you paid for from our vendors.
Ill check out the vendors. When they said that i would have to pick it up immediatly it was a big red flag so i was concerned.

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Another question i have is Pleco. I was planning on getting one for helping keep the ecosystem clean. Do they all grow about the same rate? I was thinking i need to get one that is the same size as the bass or a little bigger to make sure they make any attempts.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Get a flag tail to use as a clean up crew.

motoracer110

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2010
Colorado
Thats an awesome tank they will have a great home. A few years back I started out three 2" p-bass in a 180 gallon and always had a hard time getting food in front of them or get them to eat when I wanted them to, I found it much easier putting them in a grow out tank and felt like I got more food in them..just a thought but if u have those problems you can put a divider like a piece of egg crate in there and keep them to one side until they get a little bigger and might have better success. Pet stores will quarantine fish for a few reasons, one is to make sure the fish does not have any disease (it's easier to treat disease in a smaller quarantine tank) another is fish can get stressed during shipping and or somthing happens when it is shipped and the fish will die 24hrs later... All in all a good pet store will quarantine their fish because they want to make sure that you are getting a healthy animal. I have always ordered my fish online so I have to do my own quarantine. Awesome start and great find on the 220 you'll have to give us some updates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store