tiny moth catfish

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
yesterday I called in a LFS that isn't generally the most exciting of places but do get the odd oddball in (normally not knowing what they have). I was looking at either getting a group of endlers or a new small breeding project, when I seen a small tank listed Moth catfish. after a quick google I brought 1. I'm not sure how well it will do as the shop couldn't tell me where the shipment was from or anything so its in my fry tank at the moment. If they got any more next week I may grab another.

you can just make out his head near the moss ball

again he is tucked right into the moss ball but can see his strips.

ill be adding more covered spots today, as this tank wasnt where i was planning for him to go, but the other tank had fry from a barb pair that were in there for a night and i wasn't expecting them to be there lol

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
lol it was water change day today, but most of that is shrimp sub straight that i had in there when the cherry shrimps had the tank

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Im not sure if its jerdoni it was brought as a moth catfish I thought Hara hara or Hara horai. I have seen it a few times since I rearranged the tank last week, it seems to be eating but not sure its eating enough so I plan on moving it shortly into its own tank.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Seems like you are the only active member on here that keeps these guys or one of very few. So we'll look forward to your reports and updates :) From reading, I understand these fish have interesting behavior, if only one had X-ray vision and needed not sleep at night :)

KungFish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
TX, USA
Looks to be a species of Akysis. They like cooler water (60º-70ºF) high oxygenation, and current. Your Apistogramma and Ancistrus(?) won't take too kindly to the cooler water temperatures that the Akysis prefers, so this tank might not be the best place to house your new addition.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Seems like you are the only active member on here that keeps these guys or one of very few. So we'll look forward to your reports and updates :) From reading, I understand these fish have interesting behavior, if only one had X-ray vision and needed not sleep at night :)
intresting if I am the only person I may have to see if the shop has some more see about a group.

Looks to be a species of Akysis. They like cooler water (60º-70ºF) high oxygenation, and current. Your Apistogramma and Ancistrus(?) won't take too kindly to the cooler water temperatures that the Akysis prefers, so this tank might not be the best place to house your new addition.
im not sure if Akysis is correct, im no expert on these and think the markings are similar but the pectoral fins don't look as robust in the Akysis. but that said the markings look more like it and it could just be the angle of the pictures on line. I may set this guy up on his own and lower the temp because the moths can take lower temps as well just to be on the safe side.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
intresting if I am the only person I may have to see if the shop has some more see about a group.
Oh, I am not saying these are rare. I see them often available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store