Dorado (Salminus) ID and Care Guide 1.1

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
1.1 update- minor format changes to improve readability after the migration, clarification of data in the guide and a new 'key to species' picture.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Fantastic thread, this was very informative, well written and very enjoyable. Cheers Chicxulub!

Reactions: Chicxulub

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
So the store I bought my dorado from has new ownership but still has the same vendors. They have some dorados and says they're brassy. Even says the batch I bought my guy was a brassy. Looking at the video I posted last time the video says brassy too. But here is a pic of my guy.

IMAG1277.jpg

IMAG1277.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Brassies seem to be the #1 most mis-ID'd monster fish.

I've got a real easy way to ID - buy 2. IF they try to kill each other = Frakie. IF they tolerate each other AFTER 1' = Brassy.

Mite work, might not, but it worked for me, and I've had quite a few Dorado, also the only pair I've seen that are decent sized and swim fin to fin without skinning each other. Both true Brassies.

Reactions: MrsOz

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Brassies seem to be the #1 most mis-ID'd monster fish.

I've got a real easy way to ID - buy 2. IF they try to kill each other = Frakie. IF they tolerate each other AFTER 1' = Brassy.

Mite work, might not, but it worked for me, and I've had quite a few Dorado, also the only pair I've seen that are decent sized and swim fin to fin without skinning each other. Both true Brassies.
I didn't realize you had a brassy other than Robert. Could you post up the new guy?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I didn't realize you had a brassy other than Robert. Could you post up the new guy?
Snagged one from out in Chicago that came in the same shipment that Robert did. He's been with Robert since June of 2014. It's documented in Robert's thread what I had to do to get them to get along, but they're 100% fine with each other now, not like Armatus or ATF when they're "fine" but still punk each other from time to time, shredded fins, or missing scales, these guys swim together, play tag and no missing scales or tattered fins. Legitimate, time tested ok with each other.

I'll get some vids of the 2 frolicking and update Robert's thread for ya...... :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Snagged one from out in Chicago that came in the same shipment that Robert did. He's been with Robert since June of 2014. It's documented in Robert's thread what I had to do to get them to get along, but they're 100% fine with each other now, not like Armatus or ATF when they're "fine" but still punk each other from time to time, shredded fins, or missing scales, these guys swim together, play tag and no missing scales or tattered fins. Legitimate, time tested ok with each other.

I'll get some vids of the 2 frolicking and update Robert's thread for ya...... :)
Thanks Alan! I've missed a lot in the past year, but real life keeps getting in the way of MFK. I'll go check it out!

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
It's funny. I never really took a good look at my dorado. It's probably cuz I was trying to sell him awhile ago since he was causing problems by fighting everyone so i didn't want to get attached. But things have calmed down and lately I been just watching him and taking a good look at him. He's definitely a franky. He's grown nicely since I got at in May at 4". Now he's 8" and starting to show nice colors. He's very active either swimming through the whole tank or in front of the wave maker.

20150820_191553.jpg

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store