Placement of Eheim canister filter - newbie needs help please

Andy_RW

Feeder Fish
Jul 2, 2015
Hi,

I am a newby to canister filters. I have a 29 gal horizontal tank that sits on the floor. I ordered an Eheim classic 250 canister filter a couple of days ago, which I'm hoping will arrive tomorrow. Previously used internal filter (Fluval U2). Wanting up upgrade my filtration due to somewhat heavy bioload. After reading some discussion boards, it sounds like the Eheim 250 relies on gravity and won't work correctly unless it is located below the tank (which obviously is not an option with my setup). Any thoughts on whether it will work, or if not, any way to add a small pump or something so it will work? If it won't work, I would rather return it and try something else rather than set it up and then find out it won't work. Any any suggestions for alternative canister filter that doesn't rely on gravity?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Firstly, make sure that your canister is fully water full, the input valve turn down to reduce the resistance of the water entry. If it doesn´t work due to water drop pressure, you will have certain difficult to work it. Is a good option if you make a picture to study the placement.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I will work, once the impeller got enough pressure to push a flow then water will just flow without reply much on gravity. Also, don't make the tube too long, the longer the hose the loss of pressure higher.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
It'll work as long as it's below the water level.
Good luck. Good filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store