How long in a bag?

GrindeL89

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2009
St.Catharines
Hey everyone I'm about to pick up 3 acestrorhynchus falcatus or altus "red tail barracudas" only problem is the store I'm going to is 1 hour 20 min drive. So the fish would be in the bag for that long before I even drop the bag into the aquarium. Is that to long? If so is there a better solution like buckets or anything that could be easier on the fish? Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
1 hour drive isn't long but will need to be acclimated slowly in your tank due to sensitivity of red tail cudas. They will go into shock with differences in water quality. Can bring a bucket and your tank water and a bubbler. Can acclimate with shop water. Put holes and let it sit in the bucket and your water. Takes a while but prolly better than a 1 hr drive and shop water. Cover with a blanket to block out stress from light.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many fish are in bags 24hours and more during shipping, and sometimes sit at auctions for 6-8hours in bags.
Just to be safe, when I pic up fish a few hours away, I bring my own bucket, and a battery operated air pump to help off gas CO2.

Reactions: jordanroda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store