Telanthera Reineckii "Rosefolia"

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
This really cool plant was sold to me as a narrow leaf ancharis. Was hoping some people here might have some experience with magenta water hedges because I do not and I'd really like to keep it looking the way it does now. It's in one of those plastic aquatic pot things is it ok to leave it in or should I re pot or plant into the substrate?

Viick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
US
Plant into a substrate

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
It is one of the easier red plants to grow, but like all red plants, it needs a decent amount of light and fertilization to look the way you want it to (CO2 injection might be necessary, as well). Growth rate has been fairly slow, in my opinion (maybe 1-2" per week, with heavy CO2 injection, high light, and EI method liquid ferts), but I know others have reported moderate to fast growth rates, so I'm not sure what they were doing differently...

Also, "Telanthera reineckii" is an obsolete name. It's currently known as "Alternanthera reineckii."

Last edited:

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
thanks for the information the card it came with wasn't very helpful at all and I couldn't find much online because of the name being outdated. It's in a south facing window so it does get a lot of sun. I don't have a Co2 set up but I'll look into what fertilizers I can use that are idiot proof.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Ironically, windows are the worst enemy of a planted tank, since it is harder to control the photo period with natural lighting. Algae becomes an issue very quickly...

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I got a pretty sweet balance in my other window tank. But yeah this one is a bit tricky so far. I have a female Jack Dempsey that would probably swallow an otocinclus whole. She gets along with bristlenose plecos I'm looking into other algae crews that might clean leaves without eating them or get hurt.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I got a pretty sweet balance in my other window tank. But yeah this one is a bit tricky so far. I have a female Jack Dempsey that would probably swallow an otocinclus whole. She gets along with bristlenose plecos I'm looking into other algae crews that might clean leaves without eating them or get hurt.
Nerite snails might do the trick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store