Pond filter idea

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
While looking at the indoor pond sticky, my brain came up with this. What are y'alls thoughts on this? Would it work well due to the combination of 3 types of filtration systems (wet-dry, plant, and possibly protein skimming)?

5 gallon (or larger) bucket filled with biomedia, and set up like a wet-dry filter. However, instead of holes, the bucket would have it's bottom cut out (basically, a large tube), and some form of large mesh would keep the biomedia in place. Water would run straight out of the bucket, and into a 'waterfall' style setup, where large plants in cobble filled baskets (taro, parrots feather, pothos, peace lily, etc.) would help to conceal the filter and take up nitrates. There would be an abrupt drop off (1 to 2 feet) where the water would return to the main pond, adding in large amounts of oxygen, and potentially creating foam from any large protein sources, which could be skimmed off.

Is there some factor that I'm missing here? I think that one of the major problems might be large amounts of water lost due to evaporation from the waterfall, and the plants transpiring, but what else?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Sounds like my saltwater setup. I used a garbage can instead of a 5 gallon bucket. It overflows into my fuge with a bunch of macros and then overflows into the pond. I am running my skimmer on a separate pump on the other side of the pond. The wet/dry has bioballs and pot scrubbers in a laundry bag so the media doesn't fall out. A bead filter will be another option.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store