Urgent - Aqurium advice

SaltyPlum

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2015
I want to paint the back of my aquarium glass a midnight blue/black to make my fishes colours really pop and to give it more depth. Only problem is the side I want to paint has a couple of scratches on the inside of the glass. If I were to paint the glass will this highlight the scratches even more, or would it fade them out more???

coryh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2015
Barnsley
More then likely they scratches will show up more, its just like anything you try covering the scratches tend to show more but depending on the type of paint you are using there could be a possibilty that it doesnt make it worse, all i can say is try painting a small piece of scratched glass (Not your tank) and see how that turns on, if it looks well then go for it, but watch the paint, paint tends to be toxic so if you do paint your tank then your fish end up dying then that will most likely be the reason why, personally, do a test run, if you feel confident it shouldnt cause any harm then go for it! :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I agree with coryh that those scratches will show up on a dark background. Depending on the scratches and your perception it may be tolerable to you. Try putting a black background, like construction paper or weed guard cloth to get an idea. I, and many people, have painted pvc piping with Krylon Fusion spray paint, but this is a small area compared to an entire side of an aquarium.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I spray paint a large piece of styro-foam black, and use black gorilla tape to attach it to the back. Besides the dark color, it adds insulation to the tank to prevent and slow temp swings. Below is a sun shot, so the rays from above pick up any particulate in the water column, similar to the way dust shows up in sun rays in air.

I tried blue sprayed on styro, and didn't like the effect as much, but each to their own.

another with black styro, no sun, only fluorescent shop lights, and flash.

Reactions: FMA4ME

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
SaltyPlum said:
I want to paint the back of my aquarium glass a midnight blue/black to make my fishes colours really pop and to give it more depth. Only problem is the side I want to paint has a couple of scratches on the inside of the glass. If I were to paint the glass will this highlight the scratches even more, or would it fade them out more???
Paint the back with an acrylic (though it might be enamel) based crackle type finish. The paint is translucent and could best be applied first with the lighter color and then follow with the darker color but do so with it highly diluted with thinner. The combined effect will give you varying shades of dark and midnight blues with some ares showing more like twilight highlights, and the crackle finish will hide all scratches permanently. Repeat this layering effect until you achieve the desired darkness you're seeking. If you put some dim lighting behind the tank for additional highlights, the combined effect is awesome.
I don't remember the name of the paint, but it is sort of like a thin enamel (almost like nail polish, but thinner).
You brush it on and it forms crystal latices and patterns as it dries/cures.
Any arts and crafts shop worth anything should be able to help you find it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store