Tankmates for wolves (Hoplias malabaricus)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Here is a short video clip I took few weeks ago for my own progression record.
I'm pretty sure it's a Mala! My tank setup for low light and I had a lot of surface plants Waterlectures and Pothos.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Iv had luck with tall bodied cichilids with a 13" mala. But if you feed them properly they will even ignore feeders.. I fed mine tilapia chunks and wouldn't eat feeders unless I didn't feed him for days to weeks at a time

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I disagree on the Mala part. I believe them to be Iguaza. Liam has reported seeing 30+" Iguazas so that kind of rules out Malas doesn't it?

I have a wolf I got from Wes prior to the little guys that I believe is also Iguaza and it's not far from the size Malas max out and it didn't take long at all to get there. NOT saying that Iguazas aren't a form of Mala, but I thought if it got over 16-18" that would rule them out as being common Malas.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
You're right DB, might be these thing (Iguaza) will become our common wolf in near future and it's better than our "old common" one :p

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Highly doubtful.

I've only seen these CF Lacs/Iguaza/Red Lacerdaes available from 2 different sources over here and only on 3 occasions.

Aimara are MUCH more common and available then these guys are. ;)

But you're right, any wolf beats what we know as the common Mala-driftwood-acus. :)

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
I have a 5" mala with a jardini, GATF, VATF, orino peacock bass, delhezi bichir, and a striped raphael. I also have a 7" mala with a silver arowana, mono peacock bass, golden dorado, and a rainbow wolf fish.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Mine was usually ok with fast moving, top swimmers: Silver Aros' and my Odoe. The wolf never really bothered either of those fish, but as soon as you settled on the bottom of his tank, there would be trouble. I used to come downstairs to a perfect outline of my wolfs jaw around my 18" Clown Knife. Wolf also mudered a 16" RTC when he was just around 12" long. I also blamed my Odoe for killing 2 Fl gars as well as a gator gar, but after considering the evidence, I'm pretty sure it was the wolf, which is why he's now alone.

I wanted to put him with my Flower Horn, since they're both kinda a#$&%*!@, but from the feedback I received, one of them would probably be dead sooner than later :(

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
But you're right, any wolf beats what we know as the common Mala-driftwood-acus. :)
Hey! I love my violent piece of driftwood! He scares the crap out of company that wonders what's in the tank before they realize he's staring at them :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store