Small tigrinus catfish not eating.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd not be too concerned with the swimming. It sounds ok, esp. for the adjustment period. As for the appetite, if worried, you can get him some ghost shrimp or guppies and test his appetite. If he takes those, then chances are he likes his new home and you can think about weaning him off live if you wish.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I wouldn't worry about the high swimming either, unless something is bothering him at the bottom of the tank. I had a tiny tig swim high constantly for a solid 3days after shipping. No interest in food. Might be just a general stress thing which makes them do this. He was in a 40gal breeder with just a tiny pacman cat from minute one. I kept the lights low at all times, he finally settled down and started to demolish live blackworms to put on some quick weight

Reactions: Belly up

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Well I don't know what to do with this catfish... He still hasn't eaten anything, I've tried shrimp, tilapia, bloodworms and pellets and he isn't interested in any of them. The lights have also been on low for the last 4 days. I'd think he'd be settled in by now.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If worried, try live earthworms or black worms have been shown to work well with a tig. If it does not look too thin, I'd continue with offering non-live foods ~2x a week for a month or two.

Have you searched and read the plethora of threads here on weaning tigs and jurs off live? The examples abound of both easy and hard cases.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Well he finally ate a piece of tilapia. I tried giving him shrimp a few hours earlier and he had no interest in it. Later on I threw in some tilapia pieces for my Vittatus tiger fish, and since he was at the top of the tank anyways he grabbed a piece off the top of the water. Now hoping he'll start putting on some size as he's so small.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great. How many days has he fasted then?

Please, keep up the reporting.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Well he sure loves tilapia. I usually feed 4 pieces the size of a finger nail once a day. Am I feeding too much or not enough? As I heard you shouldn't over feed them. And he also always stays up at the top of the tank. But I guess if he's still eating and healthy it doesn't really matter where he swims right?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It may be just his choice, so all is fine. It may be where the current's the best for him, or the most DO, or there is some bullying down below. Tilapia fillet lacks a lot of essential nutrients, so try to diversify or a vitamin soak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store