How to clean a filter?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So in high school when I used to have a tank I never cleaned the filter, the tank didn't seem so important. Now that I'm back in the hobby im far more dedicated to the maintenance and it's time for a filter cleaning. Only problem is I'm paranoid that im going to clean something wrong and destroy needed bacteria and growth in my tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What kind of filter are you running?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I do water changes, I squeeze out mechanical media in a buckets of old water, and dump it until clear (might take 3 or 4 buckets).
I also shake out the gunk from bags of bio media in buckets of old water change water until mostly clear.
I keep media in bags in my sumps just for this purpose, to make it easy to keep excess gunk from building up.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Don't even know the brand name (came with the "starter kit" my wife got me...) but it's a standard back mounted filter.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Remove the media from the filter and give it a good rinse or even replace it,take a good look at the inner workings of the filter and see if it could use a good cleaning.Chances are there should be enough bacteria population all over the surfaces of the tank to keep the levels in check.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Remove the media from the filter and give it a good rinse or even replace it,take a good look at the inner workings of the filter and see if it could use a good cleaning.Chances are there should be enough bacteria population all over the surfaces of the tank to keep the levels in check.
Hello; I go with this as well. I have rinsed filter media with a hose many times. I also will replace with new media if the old is in poor shape. As stated the bb are on surfaces throut the tank. Add to that bb are understood to stick well to surfaces and a simple rinsing seems not likely to remove very much.
Good luck

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....and I would also suggest finding out just what kind of filter that you have.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
When I do water changes, I squeeze out mechanical media in a buckets of old water, and dump it until clear (might take 3 or 4 buckets).
I also shake out the gunk from bags of bio media in buckets of old water change water until mostly clear.
I keep media in bags in my sumps just for this purpose, to make it easy to keep excess gunk from building up.
I also do this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store