vieja zonatus or parachromis loisellie/freddy

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
As anyone kept them by themselves ? Which would make a better wet pet/single fish

If you have pics post em

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Who gets bigger the freddy or lois

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Freddy and loisellie both get about 12''. I only had loiselle male and he was a very personal fish and would even eat right out of my hand. Almost got bit a few times though lol. The colors on them are amazing. Web pics don't do these fish any justice.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Years ago I had a zonatus pair that spawned, soon after, the female killed the male.
I brought the female to my workplace (unless I know I can find a potential mate, I don't keep single fish), where it lived alone for years.
My coworkers (mostly non-fish people) were amazed at its personality, and stunning blue colors. It would take food out of their hands, and they named it (something I also don't do with fish).
Not to say it would be any better than Parachromis, just sayin something...
Aqua Mojo has photos of zonatus and Parachromis that are simply amazing to help confuse even more.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Freddy and loisellie both get about 12''. I only had loiselle male and he was a very personal fish and would even eat right out of my hand. Almost got bit a few times though lol. The colors on them are amazing. Web pics don't do these fish any justice.
Any pics ? Hard to choose which is nicer

How are freddy/lois on their mates ?

Whats growth rate like ?

Years ago I had a zonatus pair that spawned, soon after, the female killed the male.
I brought the female to my workplace (unless I know I can find a potential mate, I don't keep single fish), where it lived alone for years.
My coworkers (mostly non-fish people) were amazed at its personality, and stunning blue colors. It would take food out of their hands, and they named it (something I also don't do with fish).
Not to say it would be any better than Parachromis, just sayin something...
Aqua Mojo has photos of zonatus and Parachromis that are simply amazing to help confuse even more.

His pics are insane... i wanted something a little more interactive than my argentea

Whats the growth rate like ?

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also what are the big differences between zonatus and Coatzacoalcos which gets better coloring and who is more outgoing?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My zonatus went from 3" to about 10" very quickly, probably less than a year.
Alternated peas with koi pellets, occasional leafy greens for diet.
Body shape for the 2 is very similar, and for a long time they were thought to be simply color variants of the same species (just as in guttalatus). Guess it depends on whether or not you are a lumper, or a splitter.
As far as color goes, from the ones I've seen, zonatus seems to have a more solid, darker blue above the lateral line when mature, coatzacoalcos a more mottled pattern, and more turquoise.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
P. Coatzacoalcos can come in electric blue...usually only one in a bunch...probably a dominant coloration. Or with red in the head and less blue. They are not as high bodied as the Zonatus. Coincidentally sold sometime with the common name red tailed Zonatus.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store