Bare bottom? Tank size?

Skyhawks85R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
Mukilteo, WA
Looking at possibly upgrading my FOWLR tank down the road and do a possible coral catshark. Was wondering if anyone does bare bottom? I see lots of articles talking about fine sand. I also see lots of different foot prints and tanks thrown around for these critters, would a 180 be okay for a specimen tank? Obviously bigger is better but I am just curious. Currently my fowlr is only housing a young chain moray and two damsels, not sure if I would put my eel in with the shark though mainly because I wouldn't want either to kill each other.

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
I have kept a chainlink moray with coral catsharks and both were fine. I wouldn't reccomend a barebottom tank. A biofilm forms causing the sharks stomach to become irritated. If you do bare bottom wipe down the bottom glass.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
That is a small tank for a fullsize catshark shark. Granted they do sit around or hide in rocks alot, but still when it gets bigger I would try to plan an upgrade. As far as barebottom.... whats the reason you want to skip fine sand? There are no bare bottom pieces of glass out in the ocean hahaha. Instead of going barebottom how about upgrading the filtration so there are no concerns with detritus build up/bacteria etc.

Skyhawks85R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
Mukilteo, WA
I usually don't rock the bare bottom tank, personally I don't like the look. Usually go with sand in my tanks. I mainly asked because my fellow fish buddy recommend it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store