The Official North American Native Fish Collecting Thread

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
I posted these pictures on another forum and re pasted them here. That's why some of my writings mights seem awkward.

Mystery slime

At the 49 second mark you can see my lift it.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Pipefish, silversides and mystery fish. The mystery fish are cool. They were in small schools of about 5 of the mysteryand they were chasing large schools of silversides. I would see the silversides jumping out of the water to avoid they mystery fish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Pipefish, silversides and mystery fish. The mystery fish are cool. They were in small schools of about 5 of the mysteryand they were chasing large schools of silversides. I would see the silversides jumping out of the water to avoid they mystery fish.

View attachment 1128271

View attachment 1128272

View attachment 1128273

View attachment 1128274
Are you sure the first fish is not a needle fish fry? The two fish in the third photo are popeye mullet and inland silverside or some sort of silverside, I'd have to know where it was caught and have a clearer pic. The last pic is too blurred for me to give a opinion...

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I just got back from a collecting trip on the Black River in NC, we caught 28 species of fish, I got to keep a mudpuppy, a flathead catfish, a channel catfish fry, some dollar sunfish, several species of darter. I'll try to get some of the photos to post here along with a complete list of species sampled if anyone is interested...

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I just got back from a collecting trip on the Black River in NC, we caught 28 species of fish, I got to keep a mudpuppy, a flathead catfish, a channel catfish fry, some dollar sunfish, several species of darter. I'll try to get some of the photos to post here along with a complete list of species sampled if anyone is interested...
I want to see what you got

Reactions: Moontanman

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I want to see what you got
Here is a list of the species we cataloged yesterday...

American eel

Longnose gar

Golden shiner

Dusky shiner

Ironcolor shiner (maybe)

Comely shiner

Coastal shiner

Eastern silvery minnow

Creek chubsucker

Spotted sucker

Channel catfish

Flathead catfish!!

Chain pickerel

Redfin pickerel (maybe)

Swampfish

Pirateperch

Eastern mosquitofish

Bluespotted sunfish

Flier

Redbreast sunfish

Bluegill

Dollar sunfish

Spotted sunfish

Warmouth

Largemouth bass

Banded pygmy sunfish

Tessellated darter

Sawcheek darter

Piedmont darter

I'll try to post the ones that were photographed as soon as they are available...

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Collecting trip on the Black River near Garland NC. By the Southeastern NC sub chapter of NANFA

A great day of collecting and interaction with several bystanders started out a bit gloomy As soon as Fritz showed up at my house it began to rain and it looked like it might follow us all day, but as we left Wilmington the rain stopped and the skies stayed overcast. This was good. It suppressed the air temperatures and we enjoyed mid 70’s weather most of the day -- it was a great day to collect!

On the trip was Fritz Rohde, Brian Perkins, Peter Perschbacher, Rick Sanchez, Scott Smith,Randy Pulley and me (Michael Hissom)

I was amazed at the natural beauty of the Black River. We saw huge old cypress trees with knees nearly four feet tall covered in a tough coating of moss formed their own forest under the canopy of cypress as well as water tupelos and many other wetland trees. This gave us an almost mysterious backdrop to the day’s collecting.

I was stoked from the very beginning due to a wonderful apparition caused by the overcast skies and the flat smooth water that caused the quiet pools to look like stainless steel mirrors of the sky and water. The first place we stopped to look was framed by a huge dead cypress tree and a half arched living tree that had fallen over into the water and along with the reflection from the surface of the water made it look like a round portal into another world!

As we moved down to the river bed the mud looked intimidating but we quickly learned it wasn’t as deep as it could have been in such a slow water basin. The water was more or less air temperature and the pressure as my waders allowed me to wade out into the water felt cool on my legs and helped keep the waders from being hot.

The bottom of the stream was fine light brown sand in most places and in the shallows among the vegetation there were darters and mudfish abound. Our efforts with the seine and shocker were less than what we had hoped for although the capture of a mudpuppy made my day! We did catch a large red-breasted sunfish as well as a few dollar sunfish.

We moved to another site on the same river at a wildlife landing and had several interesting conversations with people enjoying the day and the river. The bottom here was mostly sand and gravel and the water flowed a little faster, but we didn’t pick up much in the way of new species at this site other than some tiny gar a redfin pickerel and a chain pickerel.

We saw the head of a flathead catfish was found on the bottom, evidently the result of catching and cleaning the fish on site a day or so before we were there.

The next site on the Black River we sampled had a beautiful cover of Cape Fear Spatterdock, the river bottom was thickly covered by the spatterdock over a large area but the fish population turned out to be elusive but we did harvest some nice plants.

Species list for the day:

·American eel
·Longnose gar
·Golden shiner
·Dusky shiner
·Ironcolor shiner (maybe)
·Comely shiner
·Coastal shiner
·Eastern silvery minnow
·Creek chubsucker
·Spotted sucker
·Channel catfish
·Flathead catfish!!
·Chain pickerel
·Redfin pickerel (maybe)
·Swampfish
·Pirateperch
·Eastern mosquitofish
·Bluespotted sunfish
·Flier
·Redbreast sunfish
·Bluegill
·Dollar sunfish
·Spotted sunfish
·Warmouth
·Largemouth bass
·Banded pygmy sunfish
·Tessellated darter
·Sawcheek darter
·Piedmont darter

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Are you sure the first fish is not a needle fish fry? The two fish in the third photo are popeye mullet and inland silverside or some sort of silverside, I'd have to know where it was caught and have a clearer pic. The last pic is too blurred for me to give a opinion...
I think you are right its a needle fish which is pretty cool. I am pretty sure the silversides are atlantics.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I don't think it is popeye mullet, it might be atlantic menhaden.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
At the advice of divemaster99 divemaster99 I took a trip up to Geneva Marsh in PA, to search for my all time favorite fish, pickerel- of which I had NO idea we had any native populations. Turns out the marsh is loaded with grass pickerel which is awesome because now I don't have to rely on buying online for 20 bucks a shot haha. My first trip, despite the fact that I have the biggest damn phobia of walking in swampland and marshes (you got no idea whats comin' at you from under all the lillies and water grass!) I caught 2 at keepable (is that a word? I doubt it) size, one at 2.5" and the other at around 6". Pics to come after work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store