acrylic tank tops--- what works best for Oscar?

Wiksta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I have a 180g acrylic tank. I will have a fully grown oscar in it. The top of the tank has 2 square holes roughly 22" x 22". There are no grooves to sit tops in so they are secure. I'm worried the oscar could hit the tops and knock them in. Which can be dangerous if they are glass and break.

How have you secured the tops to your tank? What can be used instead of glass?

Sorry not the best pic of the top of the tank but that should help.

20150628_195805.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would go with glass or 6 coats of polyurethane wood. marine grade. i personally do not run tops on my oscar tank, it is a 180, but does have a wood canopy.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
I have acrylic top on all my tanks. Plus i weight it down. No mater how hard any fish hit them they can't broke. :)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
You can just by lexan panels, its basically just like acrylic sheets but it has better properties at a thinner level. Acrylic that's around 1/8th inches thick will bow while lexan will retain its shape at thinner thicknesses. If you really want to get it secure you can cut little rectangles and stack them by two or three and have it so it slides in such as:

This way, if you have lets say two "latches" in the back and one on the sides then there is no possible way for it to go into the tank as the actual lid will be larger than the opening. I've done this and just super glued the rectangles together and then super glued it to the top of the tank. It only takes a drop or two to make a bond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store