Fighting for rank

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Hey guys ever since my big bass died my bass have been fighting a lot more. I understand that they are probably just trying to establish the order once more but there's something weird. They are leaving the tinfoil barbs alone completely. This seems like an inner cichla problem. And as time goes on, the newer ones I got (which are maybe half an inch to an inch smaller than the original gang) are starting to look pretty bad. I'm afraid the smallest will die and he just started eating pellets... Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I thought the barbs would reduce the aggression between the bass but theyre not paying any attention to them.. Please help

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
The tank is a 5x2x2 150 gallon. There are 3 original bass about 4 inches and 3 new bass about 3 - 3.5 inches. There are 3 tinfoil barbs also about 3.5 inches. Things seemed fine before the bug guy died

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Add target fish such as giant danios or a group of silver dollars. I would also recommend you do a water change and move the decore around as well.

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
I removed the smallest one for about a week. Just put him back in today with a few silver dollars. Hopefully all will be well now.

Is there an age/size that I won't need dithers with my bass? I would really like to have it be just them and my silver in the end

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Any response to my last question? Is a cichla only tank feasible or will they keep killing the smallest one until there's none left?

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
And if your little guys never die please let me know what I am doing wrong

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
A cichla and silver tank is doable. I've don't it, I know a lot of people do it as well. Once the bass establish their ranks, then all will work out fine and dandy. And you might want to add more bass. Keep 3 bass in a tank never works. 2 works and anything over 4 works, but never 3. I usually buy 5-10 bass when they are little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store