72 bow front stocking help

fishmastermike

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Barnegat, NJ
I have a 72 gallon bowfront that I'm in the process of setting up. So far it's bare other than having gravel at the bottom. I initially set it up in hopes of putting a small grass pickerel in there. Now I'm starting to think otherwise. I'd really love to have some crappie and yellow perch in there and maybe if it's possible put my mud sunfish in as well. If the crappie and perch are doable could anyone let me know how many I could get away with and if not does anyone have any stocking ideas. Thanks in advance

(P.s. Filtration will be a fluval 304 canister and either one or two hobs)

-fishmastermike

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
the crappie and sunfish will be fine. The pickerel would be fine but watch for him getting picked on by the sunnies. The perch will fit for a while depending on how big you get them at but they, in my experience anyhow, like a larger set up with room to zip around haha. The crappie, with a good diet, may get slightly to big for the tank but thats unlikely/won't be for a long time haha.

you could make a really nice sunfish exclusive community tank with a 70 gallon. I'd say you could do like 5-6 sunfish/crappie, but I'm sure others will say differently.

fishmastermike

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Barnegat, NJ
I have a 46 bowfront set up with sunfish so I was looking to stay away from that. Id definitely love to have like 2 crappie and 2 perch and then throw whatever else I could in there. The pickerel would be awesome if it was doable. Id really like to get the mud sunny in there too but I was afraid the pickerel might go after it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store