Looking for info on L271...

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I picked up one of these around 1" long today as an impulse buy. Never seen or heard of the species before, but it goes by the common name "brown zebra pleco." I usually rely on Planet Catfish for info on obscure pleco species, but the site seems to be having issues right now (either that or it just isn't agreeing with my network tonight)... Any and all information on this species would be appreciated.

So far, all I've really been able to find out is that their maximum size is supposedly 4.5-6" (different sites give different results), and since it's listed on a couple sites as "Panaqolus/Panaque sp." I'm guessing it's primarily herbivorous and driftwood is probably a significant part of its diet...

What I find really odd is that I am finding images for at least 2 seemingly different species listed as L271 online...

I very much regret that I didn't think to take some pictures of mine before letting him loose in the tank. I may not get another chance to photograph him for a while with the tank so heavily planted. He sort of has the stripes of the pleco in the first pic, with the coloration of the pleco in the second pic...

PseudaSmart

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
Michigan
I think a mix of trade names lead to the wrong genus. The pattern of the head is very different from a Panaque. The spots in the pattern are also a giveaway. Up here we would call it a Colombian or Venezuelian zebra pleco. There are two plecos under this name. The L129 is the first one but I am drawing a blank for the second L number. The small profile change along the 'chin' makes me think it is the second one. Anyway I think it is a Hypancistrus. Maybe after the holiday you will get a definite answer.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I think a mix of trade names lead to the wrong genus. The pattern of the head is very different from a Panaque. The spots in the pattern are also a giveaway. Up here we would call it a Colombian or Venezuelian zebra pleco. There are two plecos under this name. The L129 is the first one but I am drawing a blank for the second L number. The small profile change along the 'chin' makes me think it is the second one. Anyway I think it is a Hypancistrus. Maybe after the holiday you will get a definite answer.
Ah, alright. Thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it. I guess I'll be doing more research. I've never kept any of the Hypancistrus species before.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
L129 seems to be the closest match I can find. It would be very helpful if I could get on Planet Catfish... Is anyone else having these issues lately?

PseudaSmart

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
Michigan
PC is down for maintenance. I saw the post but didn't read the duration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store