Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 23 95.8%

• Total voters

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
So I picked up my sand and one bag of river pebble to mix in. I spent more time cleaning the overflows and have decided enough is enough. They are not perfect, but will have to do. I am going to plumb my tank this weekend. I will be using one fx5 for now and keeping my eye out for another one. I am also ordering my heaters, air pump, and some other little things. Trying to decide on my fish stock.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I would recommend a community tank of some sort. One fish, it gets really boring. I would rather have 6 12 inch fancy gold fish than a single 22 inch Jardini not that I don't love her lol.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
That was my thinking also. Large schools of small fish. Might try and paint the I side of my stand today.

Also I never picked up an muratic acid. I can't deal with the ugly calcium... It has to go. So how does the acid do with silicone? Do I have anything to be worried about?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
That was my thinking also. Large schools of small fish. Might try and paint the I side of my stand today.

Also I never picked up an muratic acid. I can't deal with the ugly calcium... It has to go. So how does the acid do with silicone? Do I have anything to be worried about?
Nope, my silicone is fine. If you take it straight from the bottle I wouldn't just go on putting it on the silicone but a few drips here and there are harmless if you wipe it up within a reasonable time frame. Muratic acid deals with elements that have been oxidized if I'm not mistaken like metals and deposits. Just make sure you wear gloves and have a well ventilated area, and if your going to dilute it poor acid into the water outdoors for safety reasons.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Okay so haven't had much free time with work requiring 10 hour days 6 days a week... Only good thing is big paychecks to dump more into this aquarium. So I tried the acid and it worked okay. Some of the calcium was still so think. I gassed up my pressure washer and put on the smallest nozzle. I spend around 20 minutes and took off a lot of the thick stuff. I have finally called it quits. There is a little left, but not to bad. My brother in law and myself moved the tank into the house today. It def looks a lot bigger in the house. Will upload pics when I can.

Reactions: DDK

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
So the tank is in the house. It has been filled and the sand has been placed in the tank. Pretty happy with the turn out so far. I need to finish spreading the sand out and maybe pick up another 50lb bag. Right now I have 150lbs of sand. One of the glass tops had also been broke so I contacted my local glass shop and for $23 got a nice 1/4 tempered glass replacement. The fx5 is working great and I also placed two wave makers in to increase the movement in the tank.I also need to close of the window with some blackout shades.20150704_144351 (1).jpg Let me know what you guys think.20150704_144307.jpg 20150704_144325.jpg 20150704_144345.jpg

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Need light ideas also. I picked up some a LED peel a stick flexible tape, but I just dont think this will be enough light. What is everyone using on 6' tanks?

Progar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Hoover, AL
I just set up a 240g, and using two 1 1/2" primary drains (durso with strainers), I still find the need for my second holes on each side to be used as dry emergencys. I drilled holes out the back and ran the returns out the back and over the edge on each side. I'm also using 2 Rio 32hf pumps, so even with my sump equipment, I'm moving a lot of water up top.

You may find once you start adding fish that a need for an emergency drain is necessary. Also in this hobby, it is always nice to have failsafes. Tanks are expensive and flooding anything is expensive.

Just a thought to consider.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Okay i'm back! The wife has finished her chemo and is doing well. I now have some extra time and money. So this is where i sit. Here are some updated pic. I haven't done much, but getting back into the planning stage.

20151030_110059.jpeg

20151030_110106.jpeg

20151030_110118.jpeg

20151030_110125.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store