Help Sealing a Drilled Tank

ksage15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ohio
I recently got a 200 gallon reef tank off craigslist. The tank was in storage and the plumbing needed work, broken sump, etc.. I wasn't interested in using it as a saltwater tank, as I already have freshwater fish that needed moving into a larger tank. The tank was drilled with two overflow boxes, so my husband just capped the holes with end caps underneath the tank and siliconed the caps. The pipes are threaded but he couldn't find caps that fit correctly. He used GE1 silicone on three of the holes, ran out, bought a different kind of silicone and let it cure. Unfortunately after setting up the tank, the other kind of silicone he used didn't cure. The end cap pretty much fell off and the silicone was jelly. We drained the water below the overflow so no more water could go from the tank into the overflows. We re sealed but apparently some water got left in the piping in the overflow and ruined the silicone before it could cure. Any advice on what to do to get this hole plugged other than drying it out as best as possible again and re capping it? The other three are holding up perfectly fine. I am running three Fluval FX6s on the tank and was considering trying to run a hose from one of filters to this hole but I'm not sure how any of that really works. I've dealt with large tanks but only freshwater and nothing drilled, I've always stuck to FX6's for filtration and could use some ideas.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I drill all my freshwater tanks and use sumps, its in my opinion one of the best ways to go, not just a salt water thing.
But if you must cover the holes, just silicone one pane of glass inside the tank that covers all the holes, (if they are close enough together to use one pane) with GE 1 window and door.
I have used a pane of glass and GE 1, on large cracks, and it works fine.

ksage15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
Ohio
Thanks for the advice, I just preferred not to worry about setting up a sump as I already had the canisters ready to go for the tank.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I'd grab a bulkhead for each hole and cap the bulkhead. You are making the tank tough to sell in the future by putting a bunch of silicone down in the overflows.

Also you may want to consider cutting out the overflows as well. You don't want stagnant water sitting in the overflows not going anywhere.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if you already have holes drilled why not plumb the 3 fx6 canisters directly into the the tank and use the rest to run a closed loop system.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
There has to be caps for the bulkheads. If you can't find one to thread over the outside, some bulkheads have female threads inside that you can find a plug for. If it's a slip connection, get a piece of PVC that fits in and glue that in and cap it. As far as the glass holes as stated above, fill the hole and silicone a piece of glass over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store