New LFS in town and I'm Thoroughly Impressed

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
December of this past year marked the closing of an era in Virginia Beach as Animal Jungle closed their doors permanently after 44 years. I and many were bummed out, for this left us with the limited gamut of Petco, PetSmart, & a few mom and pops which for the most part aren't that special.
Fish Safari... you present well, esp saltwater, but man! those prices?
As too the following:
Simply Pets... you present well.
Pet Paradice...good selection with quite frequent oddities, but improved overall cleanliness and better tank maintenace would be greatly appreciated.
Care-A-Lot... good over all, but limited selection.
All Pet... seems to have forgotten what fish are (aquatic fauna dept closed)
and now...
Aquariums Unlimited has opened their doors and all I can say is WOW!!!
This place is strictly and impressively all things aquatic. I will not go into any details other than this...
They have many species I have not seen in years.
They have many species I have only read about and never seen in an LFS in 42 years in the hobby.
It is a true See It To Believe It.
It has easily dethroned Tropic Isle (in Framingham, Mass) as the best LFS I have ever frequented [circa 1984 for me, and still operational]
If you are seriously into fish keeping, it is well worth the drive (and I used to drive 68 miles round trip to go to Tropic Isle)
The intersection of Rosemont & Holland in Virginia Beach will put you in sight of it.

Disclaimer - I have no personal or business affiliation with Aquariums Unlimited other than as a customer. This is simply me being so impressed with them that I feel fellow hobbyists should know that if they are anywhere in the SE Virginia region, they will not be dissapointed if they choose to pay them a visit.
11am - 6 pm is their Sunday schedule. Other days slightly longer.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good for you and the hobbyists in your area.I'd love for an impressive new place to open in this town...if I want to visit a really nice shop it requires paying bridge tolls.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

IcK

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Winston-Salem, NC
I just moved to VA Beach and will definitely look into the place. I've been searching for a decent aquatics shop and most have been mediocre at best. A lot of the shops in VA Beach have been either closing or down sizing their fish selection so this is great news for everyone interested in the hobby in that area.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Do they have a site with a stock list and a price list and pics?
Don't know... happy to say all I have to do is walk in, browse, purchase, walk out... but I'll be happy to ask for you and let you know. It may be a few days before I get back to you though.

Just did a quick check. They're listed on Facebook as Aquariums Unlimited llc.
I don't facebook, twitter, pintrest, linked in, or any other "social" media.
Guess you'll have to face it on your own. Lol

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks. Appreciate it. Just wanted a glimpse of visual behind the splendor of words :)

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Very jealous. I've lost all the truly "local" stores near me with any decent freshwater selections. The closest to me now if about a 45 minute drive, and while the selection is great for our area, the health of the fish and the maintenance of the store are often less than ideal.

I just looked over their Facebook profile. These guys seem to have set this up right! The place must look amazing now that everything is up and running.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
I just moved to VA Beach and will definitely look into the place. I've been searching for a decent aquatics shop and most have been mediocre at best. A lot of the shops in VA Beach have been either closing or down sizing their fish selection so this is great news for everyone interested in the hobby in that area.
Well, Ick... maybe you can add to this after you pay them a visit. Just look to the left of Farm Fresh once you get to Holland & Rosemont.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store