Aquarium noises.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Do any of your wooden stands ever make noises? Like wood settling in noises?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
no lol, sure its not your floor?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yea, I think since adding my tanks, my floors seem to creek more. I think I even feel more imperfections in the floor other places in the house because of it.....

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I don't know if it's the floor. But it sounded like the stand.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i dont hear anything lol my floors are concrete cement weight will never be a issue for my floors lol.

PassengerTN

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 21, 2015
If you hear your stand creaking I would thoroughly inspect it. Of course it could be like older houses in the summer that pop and crack in the night as they cool down and every thing contracts a little but I doubt that too lol

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'll give it a good inspection. The stand weighs a ton and it look pretty freaken sturdy. What should I look for?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well this can go one of two ways. House builders expect creaking sounds on a new house the first year or two as everything settles in. If the tank's stand is new and built having the screws hold the weight it could be advised as being "ok" but I would investigate it thoroughly. Creaking sounds may imply something is going to give. There is a big difference here though, houses have a small distance where it "gives" due to natures forces such as winds and soil erosion that cause the creaking sounds. Generally tank stands are built with no give what so ever having support beams hold the weight.

If the tank isnt leveled properly then that may be a reason but it could possibly be a stand that was incorrectly built having screws hold the weight rather than support beams. A single support beam of a 2x4 can hold roughly 800 pounds where a single screw can hold but a small fraction of that. I would first look at the construction of the stand. How large is this tank?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
It's 45 gallons. I'm pretty sure the tank is supported by 2x4s. The tank is not level but that's because my floor is not level. I will double check though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store