Aquarium noises.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It's 45 gallons. I'm pretty sure the tank is supported by 2x4s. The tank is not level but that's because my floor is not level. I will double check though.
Hello; This raises a red flag to my way of thinking. Although a 45 gallon is not real big, I would want it to be as level as possible. I have not bothered so much with 5 or 10 galllon tanks, but do level 20 gallon and up.

In my experience few floors have been level. Most stands have to be shimmed to some extent due to a slope in a floor.

My take is that a stand is best able to carry a load vertically. When not level, the stresses are directed at some angle off of plumb. If the floor is like many, it will have some slight movement when you walk near it. This can add to the stresses.

I had noticed a slight sloshing in my 55 gallon when walking near it after setting it up. I added some modest bracing to the floor joists in the basement which stopped it.

Good luck

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i dont know if this makes a difference but the tank is 48x18x12. the stand was designed to hold a standard 75 or 90 gallon.

ive thought of shimming the tank but im more concerned about the whole base of the stand touching the ground than the tank being level.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
i dont know if this makes a difference but the tank is 48x18x12. the stand was designed to hold a standard 75 or 90 gallon.

ive thought of shimming the tank but im more concerned about the whole base of the stand touching the ground than the tank being level.
I would just shim it. That's how my 240 is sitting right now and its been fine for about 4 years, its on concrete with a high spot on the back. My 240 is basically lifted on shims due to a high spot on the concrete.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_3969-57404-...d_Shims&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=320011480001473405

Having had the high spot on the back of the tank being about a 1/3rd of a inch i just raised the whole tank 1/3rd of a inch with about 20 dollars worth of shims. Placed shims next to each other with a finger gap in between and i havent ran into any problems due to the shimming and its still level to this day.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; As referenced in my previous posts, I consider being level a more important consideration. I have not yet tried to shim between a tank and the stand and have always shimmed under the stand. This may work as I have seen photos of large tanks supported only on each end. My concern with shimming between a tank and stand being the possibility of creating a high point/stress point directly under a spot under the tank.

Although I have not yet tried it, some have reported placing some sort of foam sheeting under a tank. My take of this being the foam will give a bit where any stress points happen to be. This sounds like it would even out such stresses if the stand were not true at the matting surface between the tank and stand.

I would still want the tank to be level. I take a lot of time to level tanks. Wood stands are more of a problem in this than the metal stands in my experence. The post from Danielcho mentions a successful approach with multiple shims. I got my first wood stand a few years ago and hope to replace it with a metal stand at some point.

While my guess is that most try to level tanks, it may be that some do not. I have run smaller tanks out of level with no problems. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. In the end we each get to run our tanks whichever way we want. Please keep us posted on your experience.

Shared experience is a main reason I use these forumns. I have picked up some useful information.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I looked at it and it like the weight is on a 2x3. There is two in every corner in the shape of an L.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
i dont hear anything lol my floors are concrete cement weight will never be a issue for my floors lol.

My garage sits on a cement slab and houses a few smaller tanks(9 40g, 4 55g, 6 20g, 90g, 150g, 85g hex, 3 10g) and has changed the pitch of the floor. Water used to drain nicely to one side now it puddles, not bad but still noticeable.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
My garage sits on a cement slab and houses a few smaller tanks(9 40g, 4 55g, 6 20g, 90g, 150g, 85g hex, 3 10g) and has changed the pitch of the floor. Water used to drain nicely to one side now it puddles, not bad but still noticeable.
Hello; Thanks for the information about a personal experience. As with most things the details matter. I have seen settling in cement slabs. A lot of weight can affect cement floors. Much will depend on the thickness of the slab, the rebar and such inside it and the ground over which it is placed. Cement floors can vary a lot. Good luck and let's hope your floor will become static at some point.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This past discussion explains how typically only corner to corner stress (front to back X) will cause excessive stress to a tank.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/busted-aquarium-what-a-mess.424295/

which was linked to from this thread. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/how-level-is-your-water.593923/

This past discussion explains why one should typically not use styro under their tank.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/busted-aquarium-what-a-mess.424295/

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I built my stand for my 125g tank. Not at any point in filling it did the stand or my floor creek. I thought I would hear something but I never did.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
This past discussion explains how typically only corner to corner stress (front to back X) will cause excessive stress to a tank.

which was linked to from this thread. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/how-level-is-your-water.593923/

This past discussion explains why one should typically not use styro under their tank.
Hello; Thanks for the post and the references. Makes me glad I have not used foam under a tank. Foam under a tank sounds logically like something that should work. Experience and good information are better than what seems logical.

What I took from reading the links is that being out of level from front to back or end to end is not so much of an issue. That being unlevel from corner to a diagonal corner is a no-no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store