Water Cloudiness

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Bear in mind, im in Queensland Australia, so please factor the time difference in....you cant post at 4am my time and expect it to be done!!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I havent water changed, yes Ive been active, but away from home, how exactly can i post a video of a water test without actually being near the tank...

Secondly, i wouldnt need to do 5 days of water changed to get the nitrates to zero, one or 2 big ones would have sufficed.

So as it stands the water has not been changed for 3 months now, would you like me to wait another week and do another water test.

Regarding your comments about fillers, im assuming you are talking about Prime or something similar? I dont have any, or anything similar!

All i can say is your opinion is wrong...someone requested a second video in another week without a water change, Ill do that and then we can see if your opinion changes.

So, Im going to call you out, I challenge you this, Im off work now for the next 2 weeks, how about when you post here asking for a water test, at your discretion and time, ill do the test for you there and then, only difference would be the time to upload the video to Youtube.....That is how confident I am!!!

Ultimately you dont have a clue about the filter system, or its configuration.....

Ill keep my eye on this thread and wait for your call

You say
how exactly can i post a video of a water test without actually being near the tank...
so your asking me how can you post a video of a water test without being away from the tank when you stated

It's 2:15am here, I'm going to sleep, I'll take a video of water test in the morning, upload it to YouTube and post a link here....

And you can all eat your words.... Then if your nice I might tell you exactly how I do it.
? are you serious? Your the one who promised the video would be up 5 days ago lol! Its becoming to a point where its hilarious. Lets have example for your slightly incompetent mind to grasp.

Teacher says an assignment is due on monday through email. I'll being the student, I promised the teacher that I would get the hw assignment in by monday. Oh nope, never mind monday I turned it in on saturday yet I still expect to get full credit. What does the teacher think? Teacher obviously thinks I didnt have what he promised, the hw assignment done. So should I still receive full credit? No.

Its a simple metaphor.
The student being you
The assignment being the video
The credit for the hw assignment being your creditably on how "trust worthy you are"

Do you understand now? So how are you going to try and come at me when your the one who posted this is when the videos going to be up and missed your own date?

All i can say is your opinion is wrong...
Let me get one thing straight, how can an opinion be wrong its a opinion LOL.

Ultimately you dont have a clue about the filter system, or its configuration.....
Oh yea I don't know how to run a system while ill note some of my stock, single jardini in a 240, "high" grade fh's in their own 75 gallons, my jag in a 120 by herself, unlike you. cramping 10 plus fish into a single 80 gallon that should never even be kept together.

Do I have to remind you that you know nothing about denitrifying bacteria? Ill just quote you why dont I.
no....use more up to date, denitrifying media...marine pure and Purigen... And to be fair there had just been a new filter released by a company that uses electro plates to remove ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.....

The view that "nothing can denitrify other that water changes or plants" is a complete fallacy now....get with the program!

I have a fully closed system, Eheim 2262, 11l marine pure, and 500ml Purigen, and I constantly have zeros on all 3 counts
You thought purigen is denitrifying bacteria, didn't I educated you that purigen is a synthetic abosrber of orgranic materia correct? You had nothing to say did you? Need I quote such as you stating the gravel bed cannot hold denitriying bacteria as in your words "the water flow isnt slow enough" when its absent at a depth of 5 inches? Ever thought about you having a bad #2 bottle of nitrate tester? You clearly didnt even follow the instructions on the back of the card.

Need I say more? I can quote you where your wrong left and right as you made it so easily posting nonsense.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
You say

so your asking me how can you post a video of a water test without being away from the tank when you stated

? are you serious? Your the one who promised the video would be up 5 days ago lol! Its becoming to a point where its hilarious. Lets have example for your slightly incompetent mind to grasp.

Teacher says an assignment is due on monday through email. I'll being the student, I promised the teacher that I would get the hw assignment in by monday. Oh nope, never mind monday I turned it in on saturday yet I still expect to get full credit. What does the teacher think? Teacher obviously thinks I didnt have what he promised, the hw assignment done. So should I still receive full credit? No.

Its a simple metaphor.
The student being you
The assignment being the video
The credit for the hw assignment being your creditably on how "trust worthy you are"

Do you understand now? So how are you going to try and come at me when your the one who posted this is when the videos going to be up and missed your own date?

Let me get one thing straight, how can an opinion be wrong its a opinion LOL.

Oh yea I don't know how to run a system while ill note some of my stock, single jardini in a 240, "high" grade fh's in their own 75 gallons, my jag in a 120 by herself, unlike you. cramping 10 plus fish into a single 80 gallon that should never even be kept together.

Do I have to remind you that you know nothing about denitrifying bacteria? Ill just quote you why dont I.

You thought purigen is denitrifying bacteria, didn't I educated you that purigen is a synthetic abosrber of orgranic materia correct? You had nothing to say did you? Need I quote such as you stating the gravel bed cannot hold denitriying bacteria as in your words "the water flow isnt slow enough" when its absent at a depth of 5 inches? Ever thought about you having a bad #2 bottle of nitrate tester? You clearly didnt even follow the instructions on the back of the card.

Need I say more? I can quote you where your wrong left and right as you made it so easily posting nonsense.
What ever you like you tool....I unlike you have a job that requires me to leave at an hours notice to travel out to mining sites.

I did the test as soon as possible. Also I previously shook all test bottles and prefer waged the test tubed and caps in tank water.

I understand why your upset as you clearly don't have the mind to work out what I have....

Enjoy you fish and all the messing about with your water changes...I'll enjoy a hassle free system.

Clearly you have no understanding of osmotic properties, or chemistry, and a very basic understanding of filter media.

Well done you have a few single fish in many tanks...guess what, I have 10 big messy fish in my tank and my readings are all zero with no water changes for 3 months.....powned.....I'll do as many tests whenever you want.readings will be zero.

Remember....it is in my lounge, I really don't care whether you believe it or not.....whiney haters gonna hate superior knowledge!

Last edited:

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
What ever you like you tool....I unlike you have a job that requires me to leave at an hours notice to travel out to mining sites.

I did the test as soon as possible. Also I previously shook all test bottles and prefer waged the test tubed and caps in tank water.

I understand why your upset as you clearly don't have the mind to work out what I have....

Enjoy you fish and all the messing about with your water changes...I'll enjoy a hassle free system.

Clearly you have no understanding of osmotic properties, or chemistry, and a very basic understanding of filter media.

Well done you have a few single fish in many tanks...guess what, I have 10 big messy fish in my tank and my readings are all zero with no water changes for 3 months.....powned.....I'll do as many tests whenever you want.readings will be zero.

Remember....it is in my lounge, I really don't care whether you believe it or not.....whiney haters gonna hate superior knowledge!
So I'm 21 in my junior year studying computer software engineering at a university while your always on call within a hour notice to travel to minning sites and I'm the tool? Ok haha, I know interns who have better hours than that though.

But you talk big about your knowledge yet you state Purigen is denitrifying bacteria, when it's clearly made in a lab you see. You have a over stocked tank and boast it as its a good thing.

You can't even do the tests for nirate right yet you still think your right. No wonder those fish all look stunted.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
So, just a quick update. My water is still cloudy but I think some of it is the glass. The glass looks to be "dusty" which is typical for a new tank. I need to clean it but have been holding it off as some the inhabitants of the tank are extremely skittish and I need to give them time to settle in. My water parameters continue to be good though. Ammonia/Nitrite = 0. Nitrates have started increasing to about 5 now after the past couple weeks. The nitrates = 0 was primarily due to all new water. I suspect the purigen I have is keeping the nitrates from increasing quickly, but regardless I have 2 fish in a 180g which eat about twice a week so my nitrates are going to stay low unless I leave food in the tank.

To the rest in this thread. I enjoyed reading about different filtration media approaches. Let's stop acting like children and calling names. People should be able to post their approach and you can comment but this thread is getting ridiculous with the name calling.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
So I'm 21 in my junior year studying computer software engineering at a university while your always on call within a hour notice to travel to minning sites and I'm the tool? Ok haha, I know interns who have better hours than that though.

But you talk big about your knowledge yet you state Purigen is denitrifying bacteria, when it's clearly made in a lab you see. You have a over stocked tank and boast it as its a good thing.

You can't even do the tests for nirate right yet you still think your right. No wonder those fish all look stunted.
21....so your just a kid...you have a lot to learn.

I have 2 degrees, and 2 masters, my hours are my hours, and I seriously doubt you know any inters that works week on week off for $300k+, I doubt in the US as a software engineer you could get half that.

I never once said purigen was bacteria...it's an ion exchange scavenger resin....that slows nitrate increase.....I said that marine pure spheres house denitrifying bacteria.....and it is the best on the market....you should learn to read better.

My fish are stunning,good quality, and happy in their hassle free tank, with no agression.....I've always kept fish like this, never had any problems.

Just for a laugh, I took water from my tank to the lfs, got them to test, got the same results ad me....can only assume by your reasoning, the lfs did the tests wrong too...lol

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
So, just a quick update. My water is still cloudy but I think some of it is the glass. The glass looks to be "dusty" which is typical for a new tank. I need to clean it but have been holding it off as some the inhabitants of the tank are extremely skittish and I need to give them time to settle in. My water parameters continue to be good though. Ammonia/Nitrite = 0. Nitrates have started increasing to about 5 now after the past couple weeks. The nitrates = 0 was primarily due to all new water. I suspect the purigen I have is keeping the nitrates from increasing quickly, but regardless I have 2 fish in a 180g which eat about twice a week so my nitrates are going to stay low unless I leave food in the tank.

To the rest in this thread. I enjoyed reading about different filtration media approaches. Let's stop acting like children and calling names. People should be able to post their approach and you can comment but this thread is getting ridiculous with the name calling.
Have you tried dosing the tank with probiotics?

RD has a very good thread on it, personally I use aquaneros method, I.e. Rid-X @ 1 tablespoon per 90 gal every 2 weeks.

Tank water goes cloudy for 2-3 hours but once the bacteria is established it's amazing at how much clearer the water gets.

Also I may have missed, what's the substrate in your tank? If it's new sand it could be that....if so a few big water changes...I used pool filter sand a few years back, didn't wash it properly and my tank had a white sheen in the water for 2-3 months, every time the fish started digging it would release more fine particles....went away after a while with water changes.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no water change 3 months? that's got to be nastie! what about the poopies? vacuuming?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I say we all go on a road trip down under and throw back some cold ones, that should solve any disagreements,
Miners and software engineers are treating:)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
watched the vid, nitrate test not done properly, test bottle#2 needs the pee shook out of it. and i do mean hard and a good 1 or 2 minutes before adding to test vile or test will not come out correct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store