Longfin bichirs question?

ZidanSanz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2014
Jakarta
I have some question about longfin bichirs because a polypterus group in my country once discussed about this topic but nobody sure if that true or false.

First, are the genes of longfin derived from both parent? I mean, if I have both male and female longfin bichir and they have babies, whether most of them all will have longfin?

*~*~*~*~*

Second, are there longfin variation like 'semi' longfin or 'true' longfin? Because based on my observation and experience, I once had a longfin senegalus but her fin is not as long as another longfin senegalus. Here is the pic:
IMG_3442.JPG
My friend have very amazing longfin senegalus because its nose are cute lol :D
overlap longfin nose.jpg

*~*~*~*~*

Third and last question, are other-bichir-species with longfin variant are exist? For example, longfin endlicheri. My friend told me that he just bought longfin endlicheri. I surprised because I never see it before. Anybody see or maybe have it? Post a pic on comment. Btw, here is my friend longfin endlicheri :
longfin endlicheri.jpg

Thanks for reading. I hope you can answer my questions and sorry for bad english :D

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
When I was trying to get into pleco breeding there was a huge debate on weather longfins are recessive, dominant, or did it vary. I would assume it'd be about the same in bichirs as well. I would think it'd be a recessive gene, but I would love to see a batch from long fins just to see the actual outcome. However a problem that may occur in the breeding process is the transfer of the eggs from the female to the male. While the female may have no problem with the long fins and depositing her eggs, the male may have a very difficult time catching and fertilizing them, because of the excess fin.
To your second question I have seen the same differences myself. I have seen some that are barely longer than normal senegals and some that are extremely long like the albino you posted a pic of. IMO I would think it varies just like patterns. Delhezis are a great comparison. Some dels have barely any markings and some are known as "royal delhezi" because of their excess marking. I would assume it's the same thing for long fins. Some are longer than others it really just depends on the parents.
To your third question, I would think if there weren't any other long fins than senegals and endlicheri, than there will be soon. With the farms being able to breed endlicheri and senegals in large numbers they are able to have a much larger scale of selective breeding. As everyone knows with senegals they are the most common bichir, because of them being breed large scale for so long. When you breed them long enough you are able to selectively develop the long fins. So I would not be surprised to see in a few years (if they aren't already in the process of trying to breed them) dels, ornates, laps, etc..,

ZidanSanz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2014
Jakarta
This is a good answer. But my friend told that longfin is a dominant gene if both parental are longfin. Btw Thanks bro :D

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
This is a good answer. But my friend told that longfin is a dominant gene if both parental are longfin. Btw Thanks bro :D
Np, and if they are both longfin even if it was recessive it'd be dominant. I'm just saying paired with a normal bichir I would think it'd be recessive.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Np, and if they are both longfin even if it was recessive it'd be dominant. I'm just saying paired with a normal bichir I would think it'd be recessive.
Exactly my thought, if both parents are longfin (recessive) it's basically dominant.
I would expect longfin to be a recessive gene.

ZidanSanz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2014
Jakarta
Exactly my thought, if both parents are longfin (recessive) it's basically dominant.
I would expect longfin to be a recessive gene.
OH YES I SEE. I'm sorry guys I just forget about that! Hahaha yes longfin is recessive gene and if both parental have recessive, it would be dominant. I forget this because you know, 2 months holiday from school :p

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
inant gene if both pa
If it IS dominant then you only need one parent but then you may only get 1/4 of the babies showing it. It depends on if the parents are heterozygous or homozygous for the frequency. With both dominant heterozygous you get 3/4 of babies with the trait.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Honestly I can't see it being a dominant trait though. Otherwise I think we would see a lot more of them in the hobby.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If it IS dominant then you only need one parent but then you may only get 1/4 of the babies showing it. It depends on if the parents are heterozygous or homozygous for the frequency. With both dominant heterozygous you get 3/4 of babies with the trait.
if it was perhaps a dominant trait the least amount you would be able to get from a het parent and a homo recessive parent would be half.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store