265 gallon tank leaked water everywhere

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
How risky is that? It seems like a big project because of the size of the tank. I would really like to know what cause it to happen in the first place. It is on a custom built stand that when I bought it... could that be warping the tank, causing the seems to burst?
It probably just got old from being unused for so long, everything breaks at some point lol. I'd definitely try to reseal it and keep it. Just reseal it all then slowly fill it outside. Fill it part way and let it sit for a day. Then fill it the rest of the way and let it sit for a awhile.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
As mentioned its just common wear and tear. Everything has to give at some point. Resealing it is very straight forward and anyone can do it. Its literally as simple as remove old silicone, clean with alcohol, put new silicone on, wait for it to dry. Hardest part is removing the old silicone which takes a ton of time and many razor blades.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
As mentioned its just common wear and tear. Everything has to give at some point. Resealing it is very straight forward and anyone can do it. Its literally as simple as remove old silicone, clean with alcohol, put new silicone on, wait for it to dry. Hardest part is removing the old silicone which takes a ton of time and many razor blades.
^This and the new silicone will not adhere to the old silicone.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Failure of the silicone is probably age related, silicone should be OK for around 20 years though. You will have to remove the panel, clear all the silicone off and refit. IMO if the tank warped it would have cracked the pane

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Why would he have to remove the panel?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I guess is just as everyone elses: age and weather. Sitting in the garage dry probably just took its toll on the silicone. What I didn't see anyone ask was was the tank completely level? Perhaps it was leaning slightly forward and that, coupled with brittle silicone, led to this?

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Why would he have to remove the panel?
x2 I wouldn't remove the pane. I would just clean all of the sand out, scape off all of the silicone, wipe it clean with alcohol, and for my peace of mind use a stronger grade of silicone. It wouldn't hurt to throw a level on the stand also to make sure that its flat and level just to have all of your bases covered.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
x2 I wouldn't remove the pane. I would just clean all of the sand out, scape off all of the silicone, wipe it clean with alcohol, and for my peace of mind use a stronger grade of silicone. It wouldn't hurt to throw a level on the stand also to make sure that its flat and level just to have all of your bases covered.
Now that's some sound advice.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
What perplexed me is that the tank has been running for 1.5 year before it suddenly failed. So it has nothing to do with dired out silicone sitting in the garage because if so, it ought to fail much sooner. One poster said that silicone only lasts for 20 years. So does it mean the tank was purchased at 18.5 year old and it just hit the shelf life expectancy. It doesn't make sense because I have tanks that are over 30 year old and are still holding water. There must be other reasons why the tank suddenly fail. I notice the stand is DIY. How sturdy and level is it? What is the condition of the center brace. Is it still attached to the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store