How long will a 315G last?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
So, I've always wanted a pair of rays but sadly they are extremely rare to come by where I live. However, a couple months back a nice little baby Motoro and Retic showed up on the market and I couldn't help but grab them. Fast forward to today and they live quite peacefully and happy in my 150. 3 weeks ago I managed to get a hold of a 315 gallon tank for a good price. It's dimensions are 78"L X 30"W X 31"H. I know this cannot be a permanent home for them, but I was wondering if its able to house them for maybe 2 or 3 years until I'm able to get a hold of a larger tank. The Motoro is a male and is probably around 7-8" disc right now. He's grown about 1-1.5" disc since I got him while the Retic is a female and doesn't seem to have grown at all. She's around 4" disc. They were both supposedly brought in from Columbia if that makes any difference. So based on your experiences with growth rates and such, how long do you think I have before I either have to relocate them or to find them a larger tank?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Motoro will outgrow the Retic pretty quickly and substantially. The tank will house the retic for life while the motoro will out grow the tank but not for a few years depending on feeding water regimen. Beings the motoro is male he wont grow as fast or as large as a female.

Reactions: MHDevelopments

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Motoro will outgrow the Retic pretty quickly and substantially. The tank will house the retic for life while the motoro will out grow the tank but not for a few years depending on feeding water regimen. Beings the motoro is male he wont grow as fast or as large as a female.
Can't really add any more to that. You'll be fine for couple years easy. Post some pics

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to house them comfortably for a few years. Although I do plan on getting something larger in the future as the Silver Aro that's growing with them would probably be more comfortable with something a bit wider, but that'll be after I move and I have some more funds available.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
Keep your eye on that flag tail, they can suck on rays
Yea I've heard they can get into that habit. So far they've been together for roughly 6 months and the flag tail doesn't pay them no mind. If it wasn't for how bad algae can get in my tank (the tank is right next to the window) I wouldn't have even bothered getting one. But he does a great job and leaves the rays alone, so hopefully it stays like that.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Yea I've heard they can get into that habit. So far they've been together for roughly 6 months and the flag tail doesn't pay them no mind. If it wasn't for how bad algae can get in my tank (the tank is right next to the window) I wouldn't have even bothered getting one. But he does a great job and leaves the rays alone, so hopefully it stays like that.
That's great to hear the flag tail is behaving mate, they're a beautiful addition to any tank in my opinion. Enjoy!

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
That's great to hear the flag tail is behaving mate, they're a beautiful addition to any tank in my opinion. Enjoy!
I have to agree. They are really nice, it's just risking them with the rays. But I definitely like mine. He let's me hand feed and pet him, which is pretty weird for a flagtail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store