What attracts you to this hobby?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I started keeping tanks over 50 years ago. It facinated me as an 11 or 12 year old. I have pretty much kept tanks ever since without thinking about why too much. Your question brings me up short as to a reason. I do not have a good enough reason for keeping tanks that will offset all the trouble, expense, negative aspects of keeping animal in a glass cage and your implied apparent social stigma.

One part of tank keeping is sort of like sand sculpture. Some of my tanks have been brief but beautiful setups. This fleeting aspect somehow is a great reward when it works even thou such a set up does not tend to last long. With the exception of holding tanks or QT, I always try to make a pretty setup now. In some cases very few, other than myself, ever see the setups at their prime.

The thought has crossed my mind that it is approaching time to let it go, but not yet. Not quite yet. Maybe I can put together one more nice setup??

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I notice a lot of fishermen/women get into the hobby....Every since I was a kid, I have been fascinated by fish....Honestly not sure the reason why, its the voices in my head, telling me to set up more aquariums LOL

The voices in my head get louder and louder!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
hmmmmm... I love fish???
It's intricate details such as this that promotes the wildfire expansion and keen interest of the hobby to others.

Reactions: Hoplo

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
It's intricate details such as this that promotes the wildfire expansion and keen interest of the hobby to others.
Why.. thank you Oddball! lol it's kinda like your wife asking you why you love her... if you actually have an answer, it would most likely be the wrong one. If I answered the OP's question.. my answer would most likely derail this thread, so the most honest question I could come up with is that I love fish. I didn't want to go with the 'control, god complex..etc' thingy lol

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Well, since I plan to become a fish someday, I just figured I'll need to have the knowledge and experience by then to take care of myself...

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Why.. thank you Oddball! lol it's kinda like your wife asking you why you love her... if you actually have an answer, it would most likely be the wrong one. If I answered the OP's question.. my answer would most likely derail this thread, so the most honest question I could come up with is that I love fish. I didn't want to go with the 'control, god complex..etc' thingy lol
I was being ironical. Your jaw-dropping collection is enough reason to understand the attraction anyone would have for this hobby.

Reactions: vincentwugwg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store