Fishing Season 2k15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Caught the biggest green sunfish of my life today! A whopping 4"! Lol but in my defense they're all stunted in the river.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Erie was slow this weekend, to say the least. Trolled for nearly 12 hours Saturday among the countless other boats off walnut creek for walleye and left having caught 6 rough fish including average sized Drum, white bass and perch, and yellow perch (all fun, just not as much of a fight on our trolling setups). Over the radio heard some guys saying they were close to limiting out but everyone I talked to in person out there fishing with us afterwards said they got skunked and didn't even catch any rough, so I wonder... On the way back I was messing around with some lures in the channel and threw in a big reef runner and just let it dive. What do you know, less than 2 minutes later hooked in to a massive 28" Drum that matched if not beat my personal weight record again at around 10-12 pounds! Today, trolled for a few hours with some other boats and after 3 hours of nobody catching any we decided to drift fish in the bay. Manged 4 fish, 2 Drum (12" my personal smallest drum, and 14") as well as 2 yellow perch (7" and a nice sized 14"r that was safely released :)). Be back in two weekends and hopefully the walleye program starts picking up soon lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Had a very successful trip to Potter county, (north central) PA these last two days to fly fish for wild Brook Trout. I had a goal for this trip of catching one of those lunker Brooks that you only see pictures of on the Internet, and I was not let down either! We left Monday morning early and after a 4 hour drive we started fishing around noon. First creek was birch run and we got a combined total of around 50 Trout for the three of us (all were Brooks except the last of the night which was a 10" brown). Nothing too big Monday, my biggest catch of the day was around 8". Tuesday we got up and went to town for breakfast before fishing the best stream of the trip whose name I'm not going to reveal as the fishing was amazing and ever since my pap discovered this small stream way back we've concluded it has its own gene pool of great looking Brook trout with near jet black bodies and vibrant red fins which we appropriately call "Bloodfins" when they're caught in this stream. The fishing was great and all the fish were colorful, nothing bigger than 6" on the walk up but managed a beautiful 10"r on the way back to the van. Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures of any of the Bloodfins since it was so humid that as soon as either of us took our phones out the cameras would fog and the screen would stop working moments later, and after breaking a phone two or three weeks ago from the same problem I didn't want to ruin my new one, yet, lol. On the way back to the van from our secret stream, I found a big natural pond that was fed from a spring and exited into the main stream on the side. It was the most open place all day so I figured I'd take a cast or two. About 10 minutes later I met my goal of the trip and after a nearly 5 minute rod busting battle on my 3 weight I'd landed a monstrous 15" FAT Brookie that was by far a personal best and an enormous size for a wild Brook Trout! It even had a little kype starting to develop on it! After that monster I didn't care if I caught another fish for the rest of the trip. I'm bummed as heck I couldn't get a picture but I have a feeling that after walking through wet banks for 4 hours with what felt like an 80° dew point that my phone would've been shot by then anyway. Hit one more smaller guy (6") on the way back and that was it for me for the day. We stopped at one more stream before leaving (trout run) and the other two caught two or three each but I got skunked, 5 nice hits but no takes. And that about does it for me for this trip. I'll be back again in the fall and next time I'm bringing my underwater camera I use for scuba just in case it's this humid again :).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Another good weekend on the lake, caught 19 myself and we took my little cousin out for half a day earlier today and she caught 2. Headed up Friday morning and stopped at Geneva marsh to fish with no luck. After we got to Erie it was to rough to troll Friday so we drift fished and jigged in the bay and caught 9 fish. Mainly Drum with a few Moronids and an 8" 'Gill. Shore fished that night and set my personal weight record for Drum at 7 pounds (25"), few more hits but nothing after that. Saturday we trolled at "The Mountain" for about 7-8 hours in hopes of Lake Trout or Steelhead but instead just caught 2 white bass (although they were 12" and 15") and an awesome 24" 7 pound Steelhead (my first steelhead that wasn't a YOY smolt)! Finally, headed west today in search of Walleye and trolled for around 7 hours, caught a lot of rough including some White Bass, (surprisingly) a small Yellow Perch, and 4 Drum with the largest weighing in at a massive 28" 10 pounds (largest caught in PA in two years and broke my personal Drum weight record again!)Great weekend and be back next one (mainly to install new curtains on the boat but hopefully troll a bit if there's time)!

View attachment 1128616

View attachment 1128619

View attachment 1128620
You seems to be catching much bigger fish this year, than last haha. Did you ever get out after pike?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
You seems to be catching much bigger fish this year, than last haha. Did you ever get out after pike?
Yeah definitely :). The addition of downriggers on our boat is really helping us score bigger fish in Erie. And as far as stream fishing goes, I'm just getting better at fly fishing so I'm getting bigger fish more consistently now. Overall not as many fish as last year number wise but size wise this year has been the best of my life so far and I'll gladly take quality over quantity haha. And yeah I've been out a few times for pike so far, mainly at Geneva marsh which has mainly northerns with some Muskies in the mix. But so far, nothing from Geneva but Bowfin. I just suck at pike lol.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Another slow weekend in Erie. Was windy Saturday so we drifted in the bay and I caught 9 fish. Most were average sized Drum but I also got a White Bass, a pair of sunfish, and a nice yellow perch. I actually hand lined for the sunfish which was fun (you can see the line around my hand in the one picture). Sunday we trolled for a few hours in the morning with no luck. It was however still a great weekend since I got to make some dives on a wreck Sunday evening and saw all kinds of different species. Up in Michigan now actually, visiting family and of course had to do some fishing :). Slammed them yesterday and hopefully today will be just as good, I'll be sure to post about it when I get back!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store