Can Senegallus live in brackish water?

alanhoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
I have 2 Albino Senegallus, 1 Albino Hypostomus plecostomus and 2 Monodactylus argenteus. But i realised as the Monos grows they may need brackish water. Can I slowly turn the tank to brackish by adding salt? Will all my fishes die? Pls help guys. Thx

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Depends on how brackish. I'd imagine they would do ok in low salinity, but as with most freshwater fish the higher you go the riskier it is.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
They can live in brackish .... But not permantly they will eventually die if not returned to fresh water ...... Example: silver tip sharks (the one that look like black catfish) r brackish fish ... They can live in freshwater for a couple months but ultimately in the end they will die if not returned to brackish water

alanhoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
They can live in brackish .... But not permantly they will eventually die if not returned to fresh water ...... Example: silver tip sharks (the one that look like black catfish) r brackish fish ... They can live in freshwater for a couple months but ultimately in the end they will die if not returned to brackish water
**** then d better choice is to return to d shop

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've recently encountered claims that bichirs are actually hypersensitive to salt, and it shouldn't even be used for disease treatment... Though I have used it that way several times without noticing ill effects, so I don't know.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
I've recently encountered claims that bichirs are actually hypersensitive to salt, and it shouldn't even be used for disease treatment... Though I have used it that way several times without noticing ill effects, so I don't know.
At certain levels, yes.... very sensitive!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store