My 140 gal paludarium

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Thanks for your feedback, Yuki!

I'm especially fond of hillsters, too. Currently keep close to ten species in my tanks.
Which leads to a question: you wouldn't have an educated guess of the species of these ones?
They were sold under Sewellia cf breviventralis, but I know they are not that. There's a current (temporary) classification of "Sewellia sp SEW01-SEW04", but I'm a bit confused by it…

Anyhow, here's a couple of shots to give a better chance for ID:ing:

Anyone?

Thanks!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
TBH, I don't know much about their scientific name. There are a few of them look almost identical but only lighter or darker color base and spot patterns and they are live in same area, we used our local languages name for them for the most part. :p
*If I have to guess then your hillstream is the SEW04 species. Sorry I can't help you there /blush :rolleyes:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Seriously nice tank, love the DIY work you did on the tank... Makes me want to start up a hillstream loach paludarium as well...

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
TBH, I don't know much about their scientific name. There are a few of them look almost identical but only lighter or darker color base and spot patterns and they are live in same area, we used our local languages name for them for the most part. :p
*If I have to guess then your hillstream is the SEW04 species. Sorry I can't help you there /blush :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm puzzled with the current classification as well. But hey, labelling them is not my main concern in the end.
Thanks for your opinion!

Seriously nice tank, love the DIY work you did on the tank... Makes me want to start up a hillstream loach paludarium as well...
Thanks, and great!
Hillsters amuse me to no end. And I'm beyond satisfied seeing them surf all over the stream.
My appetite is increasing, too. Wanna go bigger...

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
awesome tank love the rockwall! wanna make me on too? lol xD

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Thanks, tomosjsg!
And sure thing, will make you one. On location.
I'll PM the address you can send the plane fare from here to 大韓民國. See you soon!
LOL im actually in socal haha

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
SoCal suits me perfectly! Let's set up a date.

Meanwhile, just some quick data, in case anyone happens to be interested.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about how cement/grout effects water hardness. In this tank both the rock work and woodwork are grout.
They cured for a good couple of months before setting the tank up with flora and fauna.

I made a long overdue water change to this tank today. Changed about 70 % after three weeks of negligence.

Before wc:
pH 7,8
kH 5 dKH
gH 7dGH

After:
pH 7,5
kH 3dKH
gH 5 dKH

Tap water around here is buffered to stay mildly alkaline and pH is usually at high 7 or even 8.

I see a tendency of the effect cement has on the water chemistry reducing with time.
This tank's only been in action for a few months.

My conclusion:
Not overly dramatic, to my eye. I'm not worried, at all.

Still, I wouldn't say cement is totally safe when used in aquarium deco.

Thanks for looking.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
The rock climb video is awesome! nice job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store