What was the worst mistake you made?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
My biggest mistake was buying my 1st aquarium. That purchase led to the next 500+ aquariums, ponds, bins, etc. Could have bought a running public aquarium for all the $ I spent on this hobby.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
This is my post I copied from another thread so I don't have to retype it. This and I had a leak on a second floor tank causing the ceiling below to collapse.

I have this hang on tank refugium/sump box. This is how it's suppose to be set up for the most part. I just reversed the bulk head and put the pump on the outside because the teeth weren't low enough to have the water overflow in.

I then had a great idea to plumb my UV in between the pump and fuge. It went pump-tube-UV-tube fuge. I assume one of my fish bumped the fuge which knocked the tube off the UV. Then the UV was shooting the water over the front of my tank onto the floor.

At about 7 in the morning I got a phone call from my dad screaming about how the house almost burned down. When I got to the house the place was filled with smoke and stunk. My 30 gallon sump was empty and about 4 inches of water in the tank. Right were the water landed was an extension cord with a dome light plugged in. I think the black stuff on the extension cord is melted plastic.

I am not sure what happened to the prongs in the plug.

This happened on Saturday. My parents took my niece to the zoo and I cleaned up. I left before they came home. On Sunday I stop by to check on everything. When I got home my whole pond setup was on the side of the road. With the exception of my skimmer and pump which was in front of the garage.

That's how my fish got evicted.

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
My biggest mistake isn't nearly as big as cu455's but it would be adding a small large mouth bass to my native tank and leaving for 2 days, nothing but him and my pumpkinseed left....

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
they aint called large mouth for nothing.

Reactions: Karl K

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
selling off my exotic stock... Leaving the hobby, one of those 2.

SavageGerbil

Feeder Fish
Jul 24, 2015
Not taking my red devil's aggression seriously enough was probably one of my bigger mistakes. The less extreme example, he managed to bite me...which I've gotta be honest, was kind of awesome.

Unfortunately, his hate wasn't limited to me alone. He despised his heater. No big deal, he thwacks it until it knows who's boss every now and again, right? As it turns out, fighting back is an option for inanimate objects sometimes. He managed to bust the thermostat. I left for work with a healthy, if ill tempered, red devil. I came home to RD stew. Less than 12 hours between seeing him living and dead, but he smelled like he'd been gone for days.

Oh, and falling for the old "you can have my tank if you take the fish with it". It's a trap every time. Got a 55 with an adult red bellied pacu. Poor thing had to get really creative to turn around. Being a broke kid at the time, I couldn't afford to buy him a new tank. Best I could do was try to find someone that could house him while I did water changes so often that I felt like I was bailing water from a sinking ship.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Giving someone I know, my prized Green Terror.

1) I regretted getting rid of him immediately, as he had personality, size, and colour

2) his head got bitten off by an Oscar in the tank he was donated to.

Still kicking myself.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
My bigest life mistake was don't test how many watt heater i need for new tank build in not insulated room. 900w heater failed at night when temparature drop. I was hearth broken. Lose some 3 years old fish. Damage was around 400 €.... I save others and give them back to old tank. My world drop down when this happen. It's nothing about money. I killed fish because my mistake.....
This is my bigest mistake......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store