Tetraodon mbu

BreidohriFr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
France
I want to know the minimum tank size for this species, as well as the optimal parameters of the tray and food. I would also like to know if cohabitation with American cichlids and knife fish possible, thank you all!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I want to know the minimum tank size for this species, as well as the optimal parameters of the tray and food. I would also like to know if cohabitation with American cichlids and knife fish possible, thank you all!
Depending on who you ask here you'll get answers ranging from 360G - 800G+

I would personally prefer to see them have more space (800G), for such a large fish with large bio-load that also loves exploring i feel a smaller tank doesnt do them justice...

But there are people here who have kept them in 360G tanks, although not sure if any have been kept for 10yrs+ in these tank sizes? So might be interesting to know...

Luigi mbu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2014
shaftesbury dorset england
Food wise anyhting with shell is good I fed mainly cockles but also musles lobster crab and occasionally shrimp mine also eats hikari cichlid pellets. Water parameters they will live in most as long a the ph is over 7.
Tank mates. Well thks depends greatly on the individual puffer but most mbus will live with other fish like large cichlids (not too agressive) like oscars etc and I have kept them also with knife fish and also smaller tetras and barbs without any problems.I would not put them with birchir or stingrays tho as stingray burry themselves with just their eyes poking out looks a bit too much like a snail! And birchir are too worm like and are normally seen as food.
Hope this helps

BreidohriFr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
France
Yes, that's interesting, but my tank is too small I think, my tank is 270 gallons, and France they don't sell tetraodon mbu...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store