stacking two glass 180s?

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
The brainiac never tells what he is using for hardware, and he keeps referring to the dagonals he added for additional support of the 2 x 8s...
There are no diagonals in the design... I watched the entire video and there are the cross members and the perpendicular spacers for additional support.
Diagonals???... Show me!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have no idea either.

On stands for large tanks I use heavy duty exterior torx drive deck screws and glue everything with a high quality wood glue after i kinda "dry fit" all the boards with screws.

I use grade 8 nuts and bolts for any parts I want to be removable. A good trick is to drill your holes slightly smaller and pound the bolts through with a mallet. Makes for a really snug fit with no play.

Grade 8 is probably not necessary since its 100x stronger than the wood, but where i live j can get the stuff in bulk for like $2.50 per pound.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
I have no idea either.

On stands for large tanks I use heavy duty exterior torx drive deck screws and glue everything with a high quality wood glue after i kinda "dry fit" all the boards with screws.

I use grade 8 nuts and bolts for any parts I want to be removable. A good trick is to drill your holes slightly smaller and pound the bolts through with a mallet. Makes for a really snug fit with no play.

Grade 8 is probably not necessary since its 100x stronger than the wood, but where i live j can get the stuff in bulk for like $2.50 per pound.
Thanks a bunch.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
See the trick to wood stands barring heavy loads is to let the wood take the load not any screws by build a specific way. I will be posting a 400g all glass tank and stand build next month.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
It was a great video... no tricks... I saw the way the sectioned verticles on the legs supported the cross members. Gonna stack me some 75s and some 4Bs for my BGJD program.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Gonna stack me some 75s and some 4Bs for my BGJD program.
Yeah, right... 4Bs... that's not even a good cup size for a bra!
I think I'll go with 40Bs for the tanks. Still keeping an eye out for those 40Ds though. I hear they make a much better stack. :p

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Watch this it's all you need to know about stacking tanks
Now he has to get the stand and the tanks into the other room, but there is a wall and a 500 gallon tank in the way, so next week he's going to show us the dismantling of the 500 gallon tank...
Why didn't he simply assemble the stand in the other room?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store