How can I setup my tank so it's not a burden on my parents when I go to collage?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I just don't see a good outcome here. As other posters have already suggested, if you can't take it with you, break it down for now.

Reactions: raubiy

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
I said that me going to collage is a few years in the future, just like it is for high school students all over america:eek:. So nothing has to happen right now. I'll just talk my little brother into taking care of it.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I said that me going to collage is a few years in the future, just like it is for high school students all over america:eek:. So nothing has to happen right now. I'll just talk my little brother into taking care of it.
If your brother like this hobby then it's not a problem but if he just take care it because you asked him then it won't work, it's a sticking time bomb decision lol

Reactions: xraycer

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Unfortunately that is no longer an option due to the fact the tank is now planted, not to mention all the tanks smaller residence (coolie loach and some smaller ciclids) would suffer from the loss of hiding spaces. If I just had plants all over would they just absorb all the poop and food that gets trapped in the substrate in the first place?

Hello; Plants can help. But no, plants will not "absorb all the poop and food" and so will not solve your problems. I have kept plant heavy tanks for a long time and they still require regular care.

I second the suggestions of take the tank down or take it with you. I had to take a break from having several tanks while in college. I was able to have only a small tank while going to school.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
As long as you have a family who can commit to water changes, you should be fine. I would plant with emergent plants(ie pothos etc) and hook up lighting on a timer. That way your family is trimming cuttings, with not as many water changes. Could install a automatic water change system.... Doesn't sound ideal but if your family is committed, I see no problem.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
I was in the military. Did everything I could to make it easy for my wife to take care of the tanks while I was gone. Bought automatic feeders, timers for the lights, installed pumps n hoses for water changes, switched from HOB filters to over sized canister filters, yadda yadda yadda. In the end it still was forgotten about and fish went hungry, water got gross, stuff clogs or just breaks. It's not their hobby, it's yours. If you are unable or unwilling to take the tank with you then give, sell, or donate the fish to someone/place that will. It's the best advice I could give you.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I was in the military. Did everything I could to make it easy for my wife to take care of the tanks while I was gone. Bought automatic feeders, timers for the lights, installed pumps n hoses for water changes, switched from HOB filters to over sized canister filters, yadda yadda yadda. In the end it still was forgotten about and fish went hungry, water got gross, stuff clogs or just breaks. It's not their hobby, it's yours. If you are unable or unwilling to take the tank with you then give, sell, or donate the fish to someone/place that will. It's the best advice I could give you.
Hello; Yes; This. Sage advice from experience.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
I just don't see a good outcome here. As other posters have already suggested, if you can't take it with you, break it down for now.
Sadly i must agree with this. Aquarium is alot of maintenance for someone who not keep fish.
When someone care for your fish he can make 1000 mistakes. Most common one is feeding triple too much + others.
If you instal drip system + inform them well maybe it will work. But someone who never keep fish before.....
Your choice.
+ i'm going to recomend you 24/h livesteam.
You can install it with HD webcam and free program usteam. You can look at your fish at coulege when you get bored. This thing's are cheap to run and can save fish life.
It's awesome to see and check your tank with smart phone :D

Last edited:

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Just buy a robot. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store