what food is packed with protein

brittneyelz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
simi valley CA
I recently read that blood worms are bad is there anything special that would give them alot more protein than the regular cichlid pellets.

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
Beef heart

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
earthworms - whole or chopped up

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I do not recommend beef heart or any other terrestrial foods, Jumbo freeze dried krill good protein food, I soak mine in Boyds Vite-chem over night, this a once a week protein treat. day before water change.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Shrimps are packed with protein too.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with pops about not using beef heart, the kind of fat in it, is not readily digestible by most fish and can cause liver damage.
I also believe thinking only in terms of protein is not taking to account things like plant fiber, or crustacean shells fish use to help move stuff thru the gut.
Even when an adult piscavore swallows its prey, the entire fish, or other aquatic animal, or insect is eaten, meaning they get whatever is in that fish, whether plant matter, crushed shell, etc .

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Blood worms are bad? Don't believe they have the best protein source but never heard of them being bad per say. What has been said about them, this is new to me..

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Blood worms are bad? Don't believe they have the best protein source but never heard of them being bad per say. What has been said about them, this is new to me..
if your feeding live blood worms and you dont take care of them they will die and go bad and has the potential to kill or make your fish sick.

if you want to feed your ebjd i'd suggest feeding nls.

brittneyelz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2015
simi valley CA
if your feeding live blood worms and you dont take care of them they will die and go bad and has the potential to kill or make your fish sick.

if you want to feed your ebjd i'd suggest feeding nls.
I read some place else that they could carry parasites or something not sure it made me scared to feed them anymore. And its for my other fish my ebjd eats the nls already

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store