Finally got myself a VATF

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
I can get them quite frequently as well, the reason I was hesitant for all these years was due to the fact that these fish require a very specialized type of setup, and I didn't have one until recently :).

^ lol! :) .
My lfs has 4 right now.. He has all kinds of exotics!! That's all he has is rare and unusual fish.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
2nd week update, nothing much has changed apart from the little guy getting fatter. I moved the loach and the pleco to a different tank yesterday because the loach was bothering this guy a little too much and I just wanted another bristlenose in my main tank.

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I was going to ask a question but just a search on 'ATF not eating as much' answered all the questions I had :). Hats off to you guys!

Like my search keywords say, my ATF usually eats about 1.5" of shrimp / day but today he wasn't really interested in eating more than a couple of pieces... I was a little worried but after reading the results of my search I'm not that worried anymore :). I guess its normal behavior for them to eat varied amounts.

Here is a 16 day update on the little guy:

IMG_5495.jpg

So is he a VATF? I think he is...

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
The little guy has started eating anything except pellets at this point :). I've been alternating between shrimp, tilapia, salmon and earthworms. And he is at a point where in he knows Ill feed him when I get near his tank! :). Ill wait for a couple of more weeks before giving him pellets.

IMG_5619.jpg

IMG_5622.jpg

Reactions: Toohard

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
If hes well established in the tank i would try starving him now to get on pellets..... i was lucky enough to grt mine to eat pellets on the first day

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
if you're feeding those foods it will take 2 weeks of starving before he takes pellets.
Yeah, I figured. But I don't feed pellets much to my other fish either. They get a mix of what my ATF is currently eating, and occasional pellets actually. I get a variety of frozen fish for pretty cheap from my local asian market, it works out cheaper for me to feed that than pellets. Switched over to the 'occasional pellet mode' a couple of years ago.

If hes well established in the tank i would try starving him now to get on pellets..... i was lucky enough to grt mine to eat pellets on the first day
Thats great man! Good luck :). Ill wait for a little while longer before trying to feed this guy pellets due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Awesome fish, looking forward to watching it grow up, wish you the best of luck with it.
Thanks buddy :).

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Update: Last week I wanted to try and feed him food sticks now that he hits anything that falls into the water. Put one stick in his tank and BAM! He hit it (and ate it)! :) I have been alternating between food sticks, shrimp, tilapia and krill now!

IMG_5849.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store