Male BD been stung

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Very strange. Almost looks neurological. Or something stuck somewhere, either around the gills or digestively. Very strange, of course hope he pulls through, but I guess even people get hit with strange medical complications out of nowhere, could unfortunately just be nature. Sorry for your down time lately.

Siso

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Israel
Hi Jim,
I hope everything will work out! :)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Hoping he pulls through for you Jim.......

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hope it's ok it's a real nice Ray

I had a female p14 get stabbed in the Gil under neath near the mouth
I didn't find the barb stuck in her for about 2 weeks
When I did see it I had to take he out flip her and pull the barb out
She didn't do what your male is doing but the same with people getting shot 1" to the left or the right can be fatal

Hope he is ok

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hope it's ok it's a real nice Ray

I had a female p14 get stabbed in the Gil under neath near the mouth
I didn't find the barb stuck in her for about 2 weeks
When I did see it I had to take he out flip her and pull the barb out
She didn't do what your male is doing but the same with people getting shot 1" to the left or the right can be fatal

Hope he is ok
Thanks Richard appreciated. 9 p.m and he still here with no change. Starting to think the same as what you suggested regards a barb somewhere. But in pretty sure from what I saw underneath him yesterday that there is nothing stuck in him. But who knows without a good examination .

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and well wishes, I will be sure to keep you posted on any changes

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Had it been stung in the gut Jim I'm sure he would have gone by now, I have lost 2 rays this way many years ago, one was a Hen. I'm thinking on the same lines as Richard now (T1) he has probably been stung through the gill slits underneath hence the reason there are no marks, the symptoms he is showing look like a brain injury. The fact he is still with us gives some hope, once the venom weakens who knows, stranger things have happened....fingers crossed !

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I'd like to add a further glimmer of hope jim, for what it's worth.
Animals such as mongoose and meerkats are often bitten/stung by venomous snakes and scorpions whilst hunting them and they don't always die when they've been tagged. I'm sure the toxicology of the venom may well be different between rays and reptiles but at least if other animals can survive after a few rough as he'll days, perhaps your male can do the same.
All the best with him

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
U divide him to keep stress to a min?

Only time i had something similar happen, it was a 7" inch pup that ate a stinger. She started turning white like she was super stressed and died the next day

Hope he takes a turn for the best!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store