125g tank

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
I'm soon getting a 125 gallon tank. I have 2 blood parrots 2 Jack dempsys 1 gold and red severum and a jeweled cichlid. I currently have a 50 gallon tank and all.the fish are between 5-7 inches long. I'm wondering if I can introduce some geophagus to the tank once I get the 125 g. And what size should they be if I introduce them
I thought about getting them between 3-4 inches primarily because that's what size they are available near me.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
agreed.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
The mix is fine. They are all mild mannered in general except for the jewel. Provide some cover and you should be good. Water chemistry isn't an issue when you're talking about captive bred fish from the lfs.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Which ones are african?
The jewel is African.

As far as adding Geo's I think even with the 125 you'd be heavily stocked. Heavy but not quite overstocked IMO if you're putting in a group of Geos. Geos(depending on the species) tend to do better in groups. For instance I'd prefer to keep Tapajos, Abalios and the like in a group of 5 or more.

Can you pull it off with the 125? Sure but it can be stressful since fungus can happen easily in a heavily stocked tank as well as other disease. Again this is all based on me assuming you'd be getting a group of Geos and is just my personal opinion.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
The mix is fine. They are all mild mannered in general except for the jewel. Provide some cover and you should be good. Water chemistry isn't an issue when you're talking about captive bred fish from the lfs.
This is kinda of funny. I went a different route. My severum passed away unfortunately. Due to this I decided to get rid of the jewel and the smaller jack dempsey. I dropped the plans for geos and pick up a arowana 2 Pbass and a pleco. Now I'm looking for a good bottom feeder to add to the tank.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Your new stock will outgrow a 125 quickly. I've had aros reach almost 3' in less than 2 years. You may want to stick with mild cichlids like the sevs and geos. That would be a nice 125.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
less fish, smaller fish. a 125 just aint that big.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
less fish, smaller fish. a 125 just aint that big.
Yea I realize that. The arowana is 4 inches and the Pbass are less than 3. I'm planning on getting a 300 gallon or bigger in the next year or 2. Just trying make sure my personal stuff is taken care of first. My lfs had the arowana for really cheap because it was injured from with another aro so they had him for a while and wanted to get rid of him so with the price they had him listed for I couldn't resist when checking out what they had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store