plants for sand bottom?

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
this is exactly what it sounds like i have sand only substrate and im looking to plant this however iv never had any luck with plants.. i want to find something easy to grow that will root in sand. thanks

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Red tiger lotus, Staurogyne repens, water wisteria.
Beware Lotus species cause it root will take entire tank floor base and might starve other root plants in same tank.
Note: You will need a thick sand substrate though (2+ inches)

jay973

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Northern Jersey
I belong to a plant club here in NJ and many members cap with pool filter or playground sand but the key is to still get the plants the nutrients and conditions they need. I don't know of any substrate used where it is the limiting factor that is detrimental to plants. Although the depth of substrate being to deep can issues. So any plants meeting your conditions light, Co2, ferts, etc... should do fine. If the plant is a root feeder use fert sticks if it can get nutrients from the water column use liquid or dry ferts and so on. There's many resources with detailed information.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
my dhg prefers sand > gravel. I honestly find it easier to plant plants in a sand substrate rather than a gravel one.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've only ever had luck with Anubias and Java Fern on sand substrate...all my other planted tanks have needed dirt in order for my plants to thrive...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store