Tank refuses to cycle

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hello. I have been lurking this forum for quite a while now, trying to collect as much knowledge as possible, but this is my first post. About three months ago I set up a 75 gallon tank and since then I cannot get it to cycle. I have gone through 2 bottles of stability, and am halfway through a bottle of microbacter 7. Current specs are:

Ammonia .25
Nitrite 5 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Ph 8
Kh 150
Temp 78
Filter- Penn Plax cascade 1500
Coarse sponges stuffed in bottom, 1 tray of poly pad, 3 trays of seachem matrix, 1 tray of purigen and chemipure.
Current stock: 1 6" silver arowana, 1 8" Senegal bichir, 1 6" sailfin pleco, 1 2" geophagus, 1 4" black ghost knife.
Feeding schedule is hikari carni sticks for the aro and sinking pellets for everyone else in the morning, alternating carni and algae. Half a market shrimp for all at night.

I have been doing daily %30 water changes to keep nitrites in check, Treating with prime, and added an air bar last month to try to increase dissolved o2. I have also got 30 pounds of lace rock for caves and such. With as porous as that stuff is, I figured it would be great for extra bio filtering. I have tried slowing water flow, increasing water flow, messing with temp, changing filter basket order, and just about everything else I could think of but my nitrites won't drop. Any ideas? Additionally, before it's said, I am aware of the tank restrictions of a full grown aro. Thought I would save you all some typing.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It seems to be cycled but your still getting too much waste from a small tank and future tank busters. Would at least suggest to cut ur feeding down to 2-3 times per week. That will help and keep up with the water changes. Plus a bigge tank is needed in the future. I'm sure u know this and everyone will tell u.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have tried feeding once a day, but I don't feel like I am overstocked, or overfeeding. Hell most of the time the only fish I can see is the aro. My ammonia stays between 0 and .25 no matter what I feed. Shouldn't nitrite be the same? I'll step down to every other day though and see if it helps.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Have you tested your tap water? How old is the test kit? It's not test strips is it?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have an API liquid test kit, and it's never measured true 0.0 ammonia. But, nitrite should be 0, and nitrate should be something. So, I'm wondering if maybe you have a bunk nitrite test and it won't read 0. So--take your tank water sample to your LFS and have them test it and tell us what it says. Also have them test your tap water, too.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I do use the strips, but I've been testing every day so I go through them. They aren't old. My tap shows a little nitrate but no nitrite I've heard this is common. I have taken water samples to my lfs, but they use strips as well. Are they that inacurate?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yes test strips are generally inaccurate. You should get an API master test kit.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree, you will not know fore sure till you do, typically if you are showing nitrates and nitrites and ammonia your bio-filtration is not large enough to handle the load and more bio-filtration is called for. whether moving to a larger canister, adding another canister or adding a another HoB or larger HoB is in order. or may just need to change the way your filters are set up media wise.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The liquid API test is inaccurate Strips are even LESS acurate. Very susceptible to contamination. I'm no chemist, but I'd get a liquid test kit if I were you. But still, If your strips read 0 nitrite in your tap water, and 5ppm in your tank, I agree something is off.

Does the Nitrate level go up over time? It should.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
you probably would have lost fish by now imo test strips are very hard to read, take sample of water to lfs asap like was stated. Btw welcome aboard:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store