Gar jumped out of the tank

Jamal Haidar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2015
Kuwait
Hi,

I have a 20'' gar in 550 gallons tank (possibly alligator gar).

Yesterday, he jumped from the tank and I found him on the floor not moving. I do not know how long he stayed outside the water? After I returned him to the tank he started swimming with sudden moves. Next day he looks and behaves normally.

Is there any possibility that this accident may cause an irreversible damage to the gar that may affect his growth or life span?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Put some medium weights on top. It's sad lost....
I have my leasson with 22'' silver dragon 7 month's ago. Now i always weight down every tank.

Jamal Haidar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2015
Kuwait
I will add a heavier cover and i think he is fine now. He is eating and behaving normally.

Thank you all

MonsterFishKing

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2017
Mumbai, India
My Aligator Gar (26 inch), Jumped out of my tank when i was travelling. i retuned to find it missing in my (3000 litre) community monster tank. that too i realised cause i used to hand feed him. i checked the bottom of the tank carefully and moved a few stones around to make sure he wasn't hiding or dead in some corner. He was nowhere to be found. Frustrated and exhausted I decided to check behind the tank(there was an open space 3inch/14inch that i had left as a heat vent, and so it turns out he had managed to jump through that and was behind the tank. i have covered that area with hard net now. I also have a camera specifically to record and live stream my tank so i checked the recording. turns out he had jumped out at 2am and was found after 18 hours. The craziest thing is, He's alive. He had dried up and partially turned pink(something like ammonia burns) but with proper care for a day, he was back to normal and hogging on everything thrown at him. It is as if nothing had happened at all. I call him Mr.Zombie now. Quite a strange feeling to lose a hand grown monster fish, and an even stranger feeling to get him back healthy and good as new. Gars are tough, but this one is the Chuck Norris of all Gars. I am also sharing how i took care of him after finding him. The first thing i did was grab him and push him slowly snout first in the tank. then i increased the temperature a bit and also did a 30% water change, to which i added API's products( Tap water conditioner and Stress Coat). this helped him get the slime coating back in no time. I also added a little bit of ammo lock to ensure he doesn't suffer from any amount of ammonia in the tank. Thats about it. Hope no one has to face this situation, and incase you do I hope you have a happy ending as well. Its been a couple of months now and i honestly feel he's stronger and bigger than before, guess what doesn't kill you really does make you stronger. Peace Out!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If your gar is still alive after a couple weeks he should be fine, and by the looks of it he's either a alligator or a tropical gar, with better pics I could give you a positive I.d

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Looks like a Gator gar to me.
I would say it was able to survive because of their ability to breathe air for a while.
Tough as nails these fish. That’s why they have been around for millions of years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store