Male BD been stung

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Quick update no excuses for crap vid tank lights are out. He is divided now still showing signs of some kind of trauma but breathing and still with us

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
and a quick couple of pics of pups will get better pics and sex them at the weekend

image.jpg

image.jpg

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Hi Jim,
There seems to be more movement in the body and slightly less fitting going on, does he attempt to swim when touched? hopefully he will continue to progress however slowly, just hope he doesn't carry on this way for weeks, its a form of torture isn't it.
On a better note the pups look great ! like the one at the bottom in the second picture, nice and symmetrical.
Good luck.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi Jim,
There seems to be more movement in the body and slightly less fitting going on, does he attempt to swim when touched? hopefully he will continue to progress however slowly, just hope he doesn't carry on this way for weeks, its a form of torture isn't it.
On a better note the pups look great ! like the one at the bottom in the second picture, nice and symmetrical.
Good luck.
Hi Richard
I have not tried moving him but to be honest o am still fearing the worst. He been in the same spot of the tank for 3 days now so I am not sure he can move even if he wanted to. Divided him tonight and was thinking of giving him a gentle poke tomorrow to see if there is any movement . If there isn't then i maybe faced with the even worse challenge of ending it for him. God knows how I am going to deal with that.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I think at this stage its better you expect the worse then if and when it happens it will be easier on you. Having said that its been only 3 days, where there is life there is always hope,lets not write him off just yet, it is worth giving him a couple of weeks I would have thought at least.
It would be interesting to see what reaction you get when you touch the stock of his tail, he will either go into a spasm or move forward the latter being the best result. Its hard knowing what to do for the best but common sense tells me its not good for any animal including humans to stay completely still for long periods, the odd movement could stimulate something....very very difficult one, I have never seen this kind of thing before, seen similar symptoms when the water parameters are poor but I know with you this will not be the case.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I think at this stage its better you expect the worse then if and when it happens it will be easier on you. Having said that its been only 3 days, where there is life there is always hope,lets not write him off just yet, it is worth giving him a couple of weeks I would have thought at least.
It would be interesting to see what reaction you get when you touch the stock of his tail, he will either go into a spasm or move forward the latter being the best result. Its hard knowing what to do for the best but common sense tells me its not good for any animal including humans to stay completely still for long periods, the odd movement could stimulate something....very very difficult one, I have never seen this kind of thing before, seen similar symptoms when the water parameters are poor but I know with you this will not be the case.
Get what you are saying Richard mate. At this stage anything is possible I guess. Even if I did touch his tail he could not move forward if he wanted to as he is front of disk against the glass. I think the only way I will be able to gauge forward movement is to pull him around first and then see what happens.
Will take stock of things over night and then decide next course of action tomorrow.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It's never easy putting a Ray to sleep I don't have any issues with other fish but rays it hits me bad

There is always hope

If he had been stung then I think the toxins would have stopped working on him by now
My Tigrinus got stung in the mouth last year and he couldn't even close his mouth for 3 days but after that he slowly started to come around it took him 3 weeks before he started feeding again

Let's hope for the best

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
It's never easy putting a Ray to sleep I don't have any issues with other fish but rays it hits me bad

There is always hope

If he had been stung then I think the toxins would have stopped working on him by now
My Tigrinus got stung in the mouth last year and he couldn't even close his mouth for 3 days but after that he slowly started to come around it took him 3 weeks before he started feeding again

Let's hope for the best
Cheers Richard
Not much change this morning although he looks as though he is trying to move a little but that may just be wishful thinking, who knows. What has changed this morning is the tip of his tail has turned white. Maybe a blood circulation issue?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store