Good tropical plants for 10 gal?

Ja:mes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2015
I've had my 10 gallon for about 7 months now, currently it has anubias, java fern, and anarchis with no extra fert/co2. I'm looking for a tropical plant(s) that don't need extra fert/co2, and work as foreground or background. Also any tips on growing anarchis, its been dying back since I got it.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2015
its got a 19 watt bulb, pebble substrate about an inch thick, thicker around plants.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
its got a 19 watt bulb, pebble substrate about an inch thick, thicker around plants.
Nowadays just stating the wattage is pretty much useless. A 19 watt LED lighting system can be extremely bright. A 19 watt incandescent lighting system won't even be as bright as your refrigerator.
Not trying to come down on you, but we need more info... maybe this will help though...
This is to inspire you as to what can be done with a ten gallon planted tank.
DSCN2696.JPG
The lighting is provided by one Solar Flare 115 which consists of one 460 nanometer blue LED, two 6700 kelvin yellowish white LEDs, and two 10,000 Kelvin bright white LEDs... Total = 15 watts.

Filtration:
Standard undergravel filter with #2 gravel... 2" in front & 4" at rear.

As per your request, no CO2 added, however... the fish can't provide everything... I add 10ml (2 tsp) of Flourish per week.

The flora:
Floating is a healthy mat of Riccia fluitans (shade for the crypts)

Bottom from left to right:
Left-Front ~ Crypto Lutea
Left-Mid ~ Valisinaria spiralis
Left-Rear ~ Cabomba carolinias
Front ~ dwarf Amazon chain swords aka pygmy chain
Mid-left-front ~ Cardinalis
Mid-left-Mid ~ Lutea
MId-left-rear to Center-rear ~ Dwarf Amazon swords against back glass
Center-front ~ light scattering/placement of pygmy chain swords
Center-mid ~ Banana plants
Center-mid-rear ~ pygmy chain in pockets in the wood
Mid-right-front ~ scatterings of pygmy chain swords
Mid-right-mid ~ Valisinaria spiralis
Mid-right-toward back (in shadows of wood) ~ Crypto wendetti (green)
Mid-right-rear to Right-rear ~ Cabomba carolinias
Right-front corner ~ Myriophyllum

The fauna:
1 pr electric blue rams
2 sunset dwarf gouramis
6 neon tetras
16 celestial pearl danio
4 pygmy corydoras
1 hillstream loach

Your imagination is the limit, provided you meet all the requirements for the plants as well as the fish and strike this somewhat elusive proper balance. You do that and upkeep is minimal.
For this tank, I need about 10 minutes per week to trim out the excess plants and keep it tidy.

Last edited:

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
I've had my 10 gallon for about 7 months now, currently it has anubias, java fern, and anarchis with no extra fert/co2. I'm looking for a tropical plant(s) that don't need extra fert/co2, and work as foreground or background. Also any tips on growing anarchis, its been dying back since I got it.
Anacharis likes cool water and takes a very long time to acclimate to warmer "tropical" temps though this may be associated with whether it was tank raised or grown in open ponds. Most is farmed in ponds. I avoid it like the plague. Elodea is even worse imo.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2015
Nowadays just stating the wattage is pretty much useless
Anacharis likes cool water and takes a very long time to acclimate to warmer "tropical" temps though this may be associated with whether it was tank raised or grown in open ponds. Most is farmed in ponds. I avoid it like the plague. Elodea is even worse imo.
okay, thanks didn't realize anarchis was cool water plant, so what would be a good way to describe lighting. and thanks for the example

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
okay, thanks didn't realize anarchis was cool water plant, so what would be a good way to describe lighting. and thanks for the example
Same way I did... either the frequency ranges of the lights (460nm blue) or the intensity of the whites (6700K, 10,000K) or the make and model # of your lighting unit(s). Simple enough... had I said I have a 15W light set on my tank, it would be almost useless info for anyone to help with.
The more detail you provide, the better the members can help you.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I like elodea, just have to be careful for when it decides to plug up all the filters; which is extremely irritating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store