Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I guess im talking abiut the joist lol

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
If you are planning to sell/show your house in the near future, may want to keep tanks in basement. I think large tanks can scare away potential buyers to an extent.(water/mold damage and structural damage, whether or not those things happened, some people trip)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
If you are planning to sell/show your house in the near future, may want to keep tanks in basement. I think large tanks can scare away potential buyers to an extent.(water/mold damage and structural damage, whether or not those things happened, some people trip)
just got through selling our home and our agent was not concern with the size of the tank since it was a well placed focal feature in our living room. She was concerned with the number of tanks however. I had a 210g, a 75g and a 40b all going. I went ahead and took down the 75g and she was happy with that. Our home sold in a day and a half, four walks and two offers during that time. Sold the home with no issue with the just the two tanks spread out in separate areas of the home.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I wouldnt see a huge issue with it since the tank is on an outside wall and they're meant to take the load of the house. If the 150 did fine the 180 should do so and especially since its only a year. Now in your last post you talked about beams are you talking about floor joist?
Hello; In a previous post the OP stated that he looked and found the joists to be running parallel. Even being near an outside wall it is generally considered to be stronger if the joists are perpendicular to he long axiss of a large tank.

It would seem that a year is plenty of time for things to go wrong if the 180 indeed does turn out to be too much of a load. What am I missing?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hello; In a previous post the OP stated that he looked and found the joists to be running parallel. Even being near an outside wall it is generally considered to be stronger if the joists are perpendicular to he long axiss of a large tank.

It would seem that a year is plenty of time for things to go wrong if the 180 indeed does turn out to be too much of a load. What am I missing?
Im gonna play it safe and not put the tank on the 1st floor.

I'll either wait until weove or put it in the basement. I just hope the fish dont loose their personality sitting in the basement not seeing people all day

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I wouldn't worry about because your'e selling the house :)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I wouldn't worry about because your'e selling the house :)
I can picture it now.....

"Oh dont worry about the big hole in the living room that where we were gonna install the escalator "

Reactions: ragin_cajun

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
just got through selling our home and our agent was not concern with the size of the tank since it was a well placed focal feature in our living room. She was concerned with the number of tanks however. I had a 210g, a 75g and a 40b all going. I went ahead and took down the 75g and she was happy with that. Our home sold in a day and a half, four walks and two offers during that time. Sold the home with no issue with the just the two tanks spread out in separate areas of the home.
Suppose it is still possible to sell with tank in house. I just think for at least a small portion of the public can be turned off by fish tanks. Anyone with germaphobe issues, mold/allergy concerns, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store