Update/rate my Flowerhorn, Grade A

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
It helps to know your fish well. I mean know the variety, behavior, potential inherited traits and genetic health. Be a keeper first then a breeder. If you have the desire the info is out there. If you know your fish you know the best way to breed them and rear the fry. Good luck.

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
If it happen you will need to raise a whole batch of fry to about 2 or 3 inches. Out of their fry don't expect every single fry to look good. Its all about genetics so expect percentages in color out of the batch.
5 % you'll want to keep
15% desirable color and pearling
15% pearled
15% kind of red small pearls color
50% will be undesirable no color, no pearls, or a poor growth rate

Also keep in mind they could very well throw a unexpected mutation.

F1FlowerHornA1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
If it happen you will need to raise a whole batch of fry to about 2 or 3 inches. Out of their fry don't expect every single fry to look good. Its all about genetics so expect percentages in color out of the batch.
5 % you'll want to keep
15% desirable color and pearling
15% pearled
15% kind of red small pearls color
50% will be undesirable no color, no pearls, or a poor growth rate

Also keep in mind they could very well throw a unexpected mutation.
How long will it take my female to lay eggs/male fertilize them? I removed the divider last night and today they have still been interacting in a positive way, she still has the black stripes and is very dark, etc. Where would the eggs be laid?

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
It all depends on the pair just watch their tubes. I've had females lay with in a night of barely seeing her tube start to drop. I've also had females take two days to drop their tube after seeing the tube appear. After they spawn the eggs have between 48 hrs and 5 days to hatch. Length of hatch time all depends on genetics, water quality, and water temperature.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
You've got a nice male there I would be more than happy with him. The longer fins are a nice touch as well really nice fish

F1FlowerHornA1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
You've got a nice male there I would be more than happy with him. The longer fins are a nice touch as well really nice fish
Sorry didn't realize you posted here lol wouldn't have sent the picture on your thread.
Yes he's paired with a female now who are getting along great - for the time being Lol

LovinPhish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
Follow AA and gamerpond1's advice and you will be on the road to getting some frys. Mine usually breeds at night. Good luck on breeding your flowerhorns. Nice Male by the way
Looks close to one of my fh.

20150728_162820.jpg

Reactions: gamerpond1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store