Urgent help

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
That's what I'm planning on doing. Should I have seen this coming at all? He never showed any signs of being sick but noticed when I changed food from hikari gold to nls cichlasoma his poop was a little more red almost the color of the pellets themselves but I figured it was from a diet change

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Update on this the bubble subsided and it looked like a normal prolasped rectum. Today I noticed that it looks like more of the rectum is coming out and I've decided to go with the salt baths. How much salt should I add to the bucket? I'm thinking around a 5 gallon bucket filled half way.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use one teaspoon per ten gallons for 30 mins. To answer your other question, no there is no way to see it coming.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Scratch that just came home from work and he passed away
sorry for your loss... at least you and many others (including me) have learned something from the poor guy passing.
Also, I love that nobody on this forum asked you what your water parameters were and just gave helpful advise. I feel like every other forum just comes back "we can't help you unless we know your nitrate level and time of last bowel movement"

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
sorry for your loss... at least you and many others (including me) have learned something from the poor guy passing.
Also, I love that nobody on this forum asked you what your water parameters were and just gave helpful advise. I feel like every other forum just comes back "we can't help you unless we know your nitrate level and time of last bowel movement"
Yeah I got alot of help with this one which was awesome. I'm brand new to Flowerhorns and after extensive research I learned this is common in mature FH but I never came across a case with the clear sac hanging out. It was nice not getting hammered with water paameter questions although water was normal. Nitrates were a little high since im having a little unkown issue with them it was between 20-40ppm. Other than that Nitrites and Ammonia were 0. Really hated seeing this fish go.

As for seeing it coming I looked back on the whole situation and the week before I left I did not the FH would eat to a point then puke then would just mouth other food in the tank. Also noted a color change his bars became a lot darker but I figured it was associated with a dominance thing towards the two barbs. Never noted anything different in behavior though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store